Southern California coyote hunting

I am. I just got into coyote hunting recently, it's the first hunting I've done in a while. I'm far from an expert, I'm not sure I have much to offer you. I've got a couple so far.

I am, but relocating to vegas shortly. The whole state is loaded with dogs.They were in a down cycle with the drought so I have not been calling for a while. Their pop may be back up now, but certainly will improve after all this rain. Get out and start calling is the most important thing and do no give up. Do not be afraid to call the thick chaparral that most people overlook. There are tons of dogs there, but it is thick, rough, and intimidating to hunt. Use a shotgun or low power scope. You do not need to be able to see a mile. A small gully where you can see 100 yards is plenty. Call them into the gully. Make stands closer together because sound does not travel nearly as far in the thick bush and hills. Also do not overlook the shotgun only areas in the desert. Many people just keep on driving till they can use a rifle. Make sure you have san bernadino shooting map and know all the regs. Also, note they just created a bunch of national monuments and at least one doesn't allow hunting. If you do not have GPS hunting maps and a garmin, get them. Best tip of all, move to a new state before you are hunting coyote with a rock and pointy stick.

I heard they were looking to outlaw any pointy stick longer than 14" so you all better get your pointy stick ordered soon, there is still a ten day waiting period for pointy sticks. I think any size rock is still allowed.

Originally Posted By: RaidersI am. I just got into coyote hunting recently, it's the first hunting I've done in a while. I'm far from an expert, I'm not sure I have much to offer you. I've got a couple so far.

What area are you from? I am from north LA County. Santa Clarita area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I am, but relocating to vegas shortly. The whole state is loaded with dogs.They were in a down cycle with the drought so I have not been calling for a while. Their pop may be back up now, but certainly will improve after all this rain. Get out and start calling is the most important thing and do no give up. Do not be afraid to call the thick chaparral that most people overlook. There are tons of dogs there, but it is thick, rough, and intimidating to hunt. Use a shotgun or low power scope. You do not need to be able to see a mile. A small gully where you can see 100 yards is plenty. Call them into the gully. Make stands closer together because sound does not travel nearly as far in the thick bush and hills. Also do not overlook the shotgun only areas in the desert. Many people just keep on driving till they can use a rifle. Make sure you have san bernadino shooting map and know all the regs. Also, note they just created a bunch of national monuments and at least one doesn't allow hunting. If you do not have GPS hunting maps and a garmin, get them. Best tip of all, move to a new state before you are hunting coyote with a rock and pointy stick.

Thanks for the input, everything is appreciated. I don't have a GPS, I am planing on getting one though. Just budget doesn't allow for one any time soon. Do you know where I can get a San Bernardino shooting map? What about LA County? I know D11 is good for rifle during deer season, does that mean it's good for rifle for coyotes now?

Do you have any areas you can recommend me?

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I am, but relocating to vegas shortly. The whole state is loaded with dogs.They were in a down cycle with the drought so I have not been calling for a while. Their pop may be back up now, but certainly will improve after all this rain. Get out and start calling is the most important thing and do no give up. Do not be afraid to call the thick chaparral that most people overlook. There are tons of dogs there, but it is thick, rough, and intimidating to hunt. Use a shotgun or low power scope. You do not need to be able to see a mile. A small gully where you can see 100 yards is plenty. Call them into the gully. Make stands closer together because sound does not travel nearly as far in the thick bush and hills. Also do not overlook the shotgun only areas in the desert. Many people just keep on driving till they can use a rifle. Make sure you have san bernadino shooting map and know all the regs. Also, note they just created a bunch of national monuments and at least one doesn't allow hunting. If you do not have GPS hunting maps and a garmin, get them. Best tip of all, move to a new state before you are hunting coyote with a rock and pointy stick.
I am totally planing on moving out of this state. But between work and family, it makes it so difficult.

I am a San Diego native and do pretty well here in eastern San Diego County. I have had my best success down in the desert in Imperial County. Since you are in north LA I would recommend going up to the high desert. There is a lot of BLM land between Edwards Air Force base and Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base which would be a great area to hunt. I too will be moving out of this state as I can no longer tolerate what it has become.

Originally Posted By: MotoHunterI heard they were looking to outlaw any pointy stick longer than 14" so you all better get your pointy stick ordered soon, there is still a ten day waiting period for pointy sticks. I think any size rock is still allowed.

True that they have no restrictions on rock size, but be very careful that whatever size rocks you choose, no more than 10 can fit in your pocket or other suitable containers attached to the body.

Regards,
hm

Not only that BUT they must be California rocks, and you must have owned them prior to November 13th, 2010 OR have them registered with the DOJ.

This state is getting way out of control with their control!

Just go to the BLM website and get you some maps for areas that you want to hunt. I believe they are about $ 4.00 each. I had a bunch when I lived behind the Iron Curtain. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: para38superOriginally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I am, but relocating to vegas shortly. The whole state is loaded with dogs.They were in a down cycle with the drought so I have not been calling for a while. Their pop may be back up now, but certainly will improve after all this rain. Get out and start calling is the most important thing and do no give up. Do not be afraid to call the thick chaparral that most people overlook. There are tons of dogs there, but it is thick, rough, and intimidating to hunt. Use a shotgun or low power scope. You do not need to be able to see a mile. A small gully where you can see 100 yards is plenty. Call them into the gully. Make stands closer together because sound does not travel nearly as far in the thick bush and hills. Also do not overlook the shotgun only areas in the desert. Many people just keep on driving till they can use a rifle. Make sure you have san bernadino shooting map and know all the regs. Also, note they just created a bunch of national monuments and at least one doesn't allow hunting. If you do not have GPS hunting maps and a garmin, get them. Best tip of all, move to a new state before you are hunting coyote with a rock and pointy stick.
I am totally planing on moving out of this state. But between work and family, it makes it so difficult.

You can download the shooting map just google it or they sell it at bass pro. i dunno about LA. I just stick to National Forest in LA county and use a shotgun. Generally I just avoid LA county all together though. I dunno what happened with the san gabriel NM, I did have a few spots there but they burned. Not sure how many roads closed or what kinds of fun got banned. You can get a nuvi for like 100 bucks the maps are another 100, totally worth it. Also, avoid areas with too many off roaders. Problem is just when you start calling someone drives by and ruins your stand. Going an weekday helps. Owens valley is always a good spot for a cast and blast.

Happily I was able to leave that hellhole of north San Diego County 13 years ago. Made the leap to the north country and never looked back. Do you all still have to buy an Adventure Pass just to set foot on National Forest property?

Lonehowl you are obviously in Northern California. In Southern California I am sure they have to purchase a day use or annual use pass to enter any national forest property.

I actually just looked it up and yes you still are required to have it.........

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r5/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5208699

I find it unbelievable that they are forcing people to pay a fee to walk on public land!

At least it appears that you can stop to take a pee without having to pay a fee.

"Are there exceptions to the need for an Adventure Pass?
You will not need a pass when traveling through the Forest and not stopping, when stopped for activities incidental to through travel (stretch break, photo-opportunity, use a restroom). A Pass is not required for people stopping for information at Ranger stations, visitor centers and other Forest Service offices"

Your rignt...I thought they did away with that? Obviously not. Last few times I was in Las Padres I was told by rangers it was defunct cause it was basically unenforcable. But, regardless, it's super stupid.
Mark

Better make sure your rocks are lead free, those ghey buzzards will die from anything with lead.

Para, I'm in the Antelope Valley, there are a lot of coyotes here, I use google earth to help me figure where I'm going to hunt. They stick close to the aqueduct and neighborhoods, they jump fences and feast on peoples pets. I've had them move into a field near me because of the healthy rabbit population that has now been depleted.

My brother lives in your area and he's seen a lot of them down there too, in the hills and in his neighborhood. I hope this helps.

Many years ago I used to travel down to just east of California City to Field Trial Brittany's.
All that country around there was good looking Coyote country all the way up to China Lakes.

The Coyotes at the Field Trial grounds were well fed on liberated Chukar.

Back