Savage axis build?

zr600

Ok I'm thinking about changing my axis 22-250 to a 20-250 thinking about a BHW barrel 24-26" lapua brass already have timney trigger in it. What contour should I go with it will be a long range coyote sniper. Will have a vortex pst 4-16 on it for the time being. Plan on using the 55g Bergers. Boyd's thumbhole stock bedded. Is this a waste or a good idea. Plus should I have the action timed and tried?

If you go over to Savage Shooters site, there are alot of guys building rifles off the Axis actions. I say what ever floats your boat. Go for it!!

I already have the action trigger scope mount rings just need a new stock factory one broke on me. Thought it would be a good flat shooting caliper and rifle just wonder what contour to go with on the barrel it will have a lane 30 cal surpressor on it.

I would be interested in knowing how a good bbl performs on that action. Obviously the stock has to go.
Looking forward to bbl specs and performance. Have to say, though i have reservations about the receiver performance.

Sounds like you want the heaviest, longest barrel you are willing to haul around all day..
Interesting project, keep us updated..

I would say a #5 contour. Heavy enough to be rigid but not too heavy to carry all day from stand to stand. I wouldn't bother truing the action unless it will give you that warm fuzzy feeling to do so. What you would gain (minimal to nothing.....just my opinion) is not worth the cost of having it done.

Originally Posted By: jpretleI would be interested in knowing how a good bbl performs on that action. Obviously the stock has to go.
Looking forward to bbl specs and performance. Have to say, though i have reservations about the receiver performance.

Bought an Edge .223 before Savage changed name to Axis. It now has a Shaw Varmit contour 6.5x45 barrel on it. Happy with mine, one of my more accurate rifles. Shoot with a gent who has a habit of buying Savage rifles, just to be able to rebarrel them to something else more exotic than the normal cartridges found in factory rifles. He must own at least three Axis rifles that he's rebarreled. To quote him....."Axis action is good to build on" He has ability to tweak a factory Axis trigger for his benchrest shooting. Not sure what brand stocks he's put on his Axis for his benchrest shooting.....me, I made one for mine.

Last edited:
I'm looking to start an axis build, just purchased a boyds stock for a heavy barrel. Going to be looking for a 243 heavy barrel for it. I love building on savage actions.

6964AA5E-6A2A-46A4-9322-B2A2A7BEAC49_zpslb0tpzhu.jpg

My savage axis wears a 24" tube that's straight taper to .730". It's also chambered in .20-250 and shoots very well.

15F11C75-ED52-4A75-82AF-B0E1F6C8BCF8_zpsu0keinpm.jpg

1/2" group at 100 yards with a 28gr brass bullet. To the gentleman wanting to know about the performance of the action, in my case, it shoots better than I can.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention something you may run into when rebarreling an Axis. This happened to me and another fellow range member on each of the three Axis rifles he's rebarreled.

You might have a problem removing the Axis barrel nut from the barrel to reuse it. Seems in the Savage metal process they bead blast it before coating the barreled receiver. Those darn beads get in the thread between the barrel and the barrel nut. Neither of us had a problem backing off the barrel nut enough to unscrew the barrel from the receive. But removing the barrel nut from the barrel to reuse it was a royal pain in the you know what because of the beads. Took me 30 seconds to remove the barrel from the action.....over an hour to remove the barrel nut. Told myself, I'd have a spare barrel nut handy if I ever rebarreled another Axis.

Originally Posted By: DGWForgot to mention something you may run into when rebarreling an Axis. This happened to me and another fellow range member on each of the three Axis rifles he's rebarreled.

You might have a problem removing the Axis barrel nut from the barrel to reuse it. Seems in the Savage metal process they bead blast it before coating the barreled receiver. Those darn beads get in the thread between the barrel and the barrel nut. Neither of us had a problem backing off the barrel nut enough to unscrew the barrel from the receive. But removing the barrel nut from the barrel to reuse it was a royal pain in the you know what because of the beads. Took me 30 seconds to remove the barrel from the action.....over an hour to remove the barrel nut. Told myself, I'd have a spare barrel nut handy if I ever rebarreled another Axis.
I have heard of this same problem, good advice

I had that experience on my only Axis. It was a major headache getting the barrel loose from the receiver, but nothing like getting the nut off the barrel. I finally gave up and cut the nut off with a Dremel. After that I had to smooth the threads on the barrel to install it on another rifle. I have done a couple of others with no problem, but mine was a booger.

Back