Coyote killingest AR 15 cartridge???????????????

Originally Posted By: old catOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotcontrary to what others report on here i have never seen anything wrong with the plain vanilla .223. killed truckloads of coyotes from 10 yards to well over the 200 yards you are asking about. done a fine job on them.

maybe just missed it, but dont see you posting anything about killing coyotes. are you killing some (maybe i should say more) coyotes now that you are hunting at night? I have never lost one coyote, that I put the bullet where it was supposed to go with .223. I see no need to blame equipment for operator error.

if you shoot every coyote perfectly you don't shoot many.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: old catWhy don't you try a 300 win mag?
You have one in an AR platform?
I do try to save a few hides. Try this NEMO OMEN .300 win mag ar

I don't shoot as many in WVa as you do in Texas, but I do alright. Beside that no one in WVa is as good as someone from Texas.

My main concern is enough velocity out around 200 yards to make a bullet tough enough to get through a little bone work like it is intended. This night hunting is giving me some hands on experience vs. what is read or theorized about on the interweb regarding this subject.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: old catI don't shoot as many in WVa as you do in Texas, but I do alright. Beside that no one in WVa is as good as someone from Texas.

that was funny. you must be a really nice guy
thumbup.gif

I started using the Barnes 85gr MPG in 6.8 and got it to shoot good around 2875fps in a 16". So far a dillar and coyote didnt make it out alive. Last year i killed a whitetail doe with one at 240ish yards and a coyote at 380ish yards. They are pretty nasty [beeep], dont recommend them for saving hides.

I had a ARP 5.56x42 which was a 6.8spc necked down to .224" and it shot 75gr Amax great out to 700 yards and MV was 3000fps in a 20" AR. Wanted to use it for coyotes but 6.8 brass was hard to find so i sold it and got a plane jane 20" 223 barrel.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Get one of the 6mms along the lines of 6x6.8s, 6DTI, 243LBC even a 6.8spc shooting 80gr bullets is a hammer
Forgive my ignorance but which is the fastest, hardest hitting round?
Which is the least pita to makes brass for etc. I do reload so that isn't a problem but I am in the early stages of researching these cartridges. THANKS!

What kind of barrel lengths do these rounds need to get to the point of diminishing returns? MY current AR is 24" bull so I don't mind some weight.

My 22 Nosler Stoner project failed and I am waiting on better barrels. Do I just need a different bolt for the 6's?

Pick your poison. I'm running 58gr vmax over 3500fps in a 6x6.8. Just get a bushing die with a couple bushing to neck your 6.8 brass down. I think I have about 100 bucks in my dies. Once you do the enitial 2 stage step down then it's a simple resize after each firing. It's a very simple round to load for. I've killed a few dozen with my old 6x6.8 out to 400 yards and all just dropped. I just built a new one is 22" but pretty sure 20" would do

I guess Steve hasn't discovered the invention of a brass catcher. I got a few made by one of the Moderators on here that holds half a dozen pieces and is super low profile.

I also have a Photon and know exactly what your saying with the adjustments and reticle not being the most precise and leaving no room for error

I've had a 9 and 10. Either one is fine. Only reason I got a 9 last time is because Ritch had it on hand. Only reason I got a 10 this time is because Ritch had it on hand haha.

Originally Posted By: BBsteelI was just thinking the same as this topic. I got back from an AZ hunt and flopped a few down with the 223 60 grain vmax from a suppressed 18" barreled AR and watched them get back up and run off. Yes, operator error for sure.

Anyway, one call to Dtech to talk through some things and I have a 18" 25DTI in process. My shots are 200 and under and I wanted a bit more sectional density with more speed (3200-ish with a 75 Vmax vs 2800-ish with a 60 Vmax).

Only real world hunting will prove it out.

Good luck!

I just got back from AZ and used my pof 14.5" barrel. Seven yotes and a kit fox with a shotgun and Two coyotes with my reloads, 60g vmax at 2850fps. Shot two both around a 150 yards. Both DRT with .50 cent sized out holes. They were standing broad side shots right behind the front shoulder. Shot placement is the key no matter what caliber.

The flattest, hardest hitter in an AR 15 to 200yards...55g in a 243 wssm...with no brass available anywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Which of the 6mm rounds only require sizing down with no fire forming. 58's at 3550 sounds good to me.

The 6X6.8 or 243 LBC fill that bill nicely.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Which of the 6mm rounds only require sizing down with no fire forming. 58's at 3550 sounds good to me.

The 6X6.8 or 243 LBC fill that bill nicely.

Greg
Okay so I have it down to 2.....Snickers or a Payday lol.......
What is the difference between these two and are any of these more likely to be on the shelf at Rich's???

Looks like the 6x6.8 is designed for lighter bullets and will take more pressure and head thrust. Ding ding ding....I think I have a winner!
Semi bull 22 or 24" 10 twist is what I am thinking.....22" maybe the best compromise??

I am not familiar with ar contours. What contour is heavy enough to be gnats azz accurate in a 22" and be a good hunting weight.
Will a 24"in that contour be getting to long for max accuracy in that contour?

Last edited:
1:10 22" Standard profile rifle gas 6X6.8 Redding Type S F/L bushing dies. Give Ritch a call direct as he has some stuff coming n line that will interest you.

Greg

I will help you out as you go.

Originally Posted By: GLShooter1:10 22" Standard profile rifle gas 6X6.8 Redding Type S F/L bushing dies. Give Ritch a call direct as he has some stuff coming n line that will interest you.

Greg

I tried to call but no answer, so I emailed him.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: GLShooter1:10 22" Standard profile rifle gas 6X6.8 Redding Type S F/L bushing dies. Give Ritch a call direct as he has some stuff coming n line that will interest you.

Greg

I tried to call but no answer, so I emailed him.
Lol. We just spent an hour on the phone. He's free now.

Greg

If you've got an 8T barrel, you oughtta' try some of the bigger polymer-tipped bullets if you can find a VLD magazine/bolt stop...but we are going out much further than 200 yds. 69 TMK is hitting them hard at 200 though. Buddy is shooting the 80 Horn. ELD-M and has killed 3 dogs out to 300ish very well.

Back