sludge sprayed on fields?

Ruddy

Anyone have any thoughts on the effects on predators when the fields have had sludge spread/sprayed? Several of our places have been sprayed in the last several weeks and not sure if we should give them some extra time or go ahead and hunt them? I do know it's hard on the nose for us but not unbearable.

They spread sludge and chicken manure here. I can't stand the smell of either one so I don't hunt those fields until the smell is gone. I don't know whether the predators are bothered by it, but I don't see how they could not be. As sensitive as a coyotes nose is I think that the ammonia might burn his nose. It does mine.
One of my best farms just got chicken manure spread on it a few days ago. I did not know that until we hunted it. We did not see or hear anything.

To clarify, if by sludge you are referring to human waste bio solids then I won't even walk in those fields until it's gone. That stuff is nasty and who knows what kind of bacteria is living in it.

Last edited:
Sludge will have a plethora of bugs in it. Which in turn draws birds and rodents big and small. They spread the sludge on some of my turkey fields during turkey season which the birds love because of the food it brings. I've seen plenty of fox and coyotes mousing and chasing birds in the stuff but season is closed up here when this is going on

Yep I'm talking about the bio-sludge, all the fields that it has been applied to are freshly prepped ready to plant. We hunted one place in Caroline Co that we did see a fox and coon but they were in areas on the farm that had not been "treated", the other fields were blanks. The other place was in Hanover and drew total blanks. Hopefully this rain coming in will help disapate it some.

spotstalkshoot i was going to say the opposite. you can save some money on cover scent by rolling around in it before you hunt
wink.gif

Ruddy where were you hunting in Caroline County? That is where I live and do the majority of my hunting

Back