Wolf Hunting Caliber?

The wolf gun debate..Well here goes my .02 for what its worth.All too much I see the argument of the biggest baddest wolf gun.Some seem to think they need a 338 Lapua to stop one,and others are just fine with a 223.True that both guns can shoot and kill wolves.There are logical faults (to me)on both ends of the spectrum.With a big gun you have weight,recoil,and if using a large caliber bolt gun,that now restricts round count.Using a .223, I sit and scratch my head as to why I would even take the chance of only wounding a wolf, and letting the trophy of your life slip away.To each their own,but trust me you will regret it.
My requirements for a wolf gun were this.Lighter,Autoloading(20+ rounds on board),mild recoil,medium knockdown.
I have shot wolves with a 6X45 and with a 6.5 Grendel.The difference in stopping power of the Grendel over the 6X45 was enough to confirm my caliber of choice.
The truth be told:
Wolves aren't out to be what people say they are,A BIG wolf in Idaho wolf can get up to 150 pounds.No need for over kill and no need for a BB gun.
Every wolf I have encountered have been in packs or pairs,both of my latest Wolf doubles weren't likely possible with a bolt gun.Not discounting the bolt gun by any means,but everything in my experience has happened so fast.

When making your decisions be logical and dont be fooled by the internet hunter, or the sporting goods "pro hunter".Get out to the range and shoot.Find what works well,and don't change a thing.I will never forget a wolf pair that I called in and missed.All because I was fiddling with my gun and different loads.Regrets,but it changed my mindset.
People get too caught up in calibers and equipment.Granted there is no subsitute for having good equipment and a caliber that suits you well.It makes me chuckle,because to me most are overlooking the point.The focus to the point should be on fundamental shooting,getting out and formulating wolf hunt strategies, and putting in the time.
Becuse the real point is hitting what your aiming at regardless of caliber,and all to often we here about that "missed a wolf story".Don't allow that to be you.

Originally Posted By: KuduOriginally Posted By: CraigMaybe I'm the only one who has mentioned this but...
Wolves are only 100lbs.
I see people recommending 270's and 30 cals, and I have to scratch my head. Wolves just are not the big, you don't need that much gun to kill one.
People talk about how tough they are, and this is true, but truth be told so are coyotes. And a 17 cal choosing proper bullets is absolutely deadly on coyotes, so why do you need 12X the gun on an animal only 3 times as big?
Truth be told you don't. A decently constructed bullet, from say a 243 aimed at the vitals, will hit the vitals and knock it down. The end.
We are not talking about an animal with ultra thick skin, or an animal with bones as big as your forearm. It's a large dog. It's smaller then even a tiny whitetail.
I think some of the people replying have never shot at a wolf, and/or trying to compensate for such a difficult animal to hunt by killing it with a cannon.

What he said......

Big dog - soft skinned - not that hard to kill for heavens sakes!

How many have you shot in tough conditions over the years. If you can't learn from experience well…….. We shot a lot.

EDIT- technically like I said earlier in the post you do not need a big rifle to KILL a wolf. In reality when HUNTING a wolf it's not really much like shooting at the range so I recommend a bigger caliber cause more often than not it's a long shot or a moving animal or brush in between or you are caught off guard or you have wolf fever. A bigger hole helps. They soak up a lot and keep going.

Last edited:
How about two of us and i will split gas with you.Originally Posted By: BailAnyone here from Idaho interested in taking a Kansan under their wing for a week this fall for a wolf hunt?

243 with 68gr bergers was the pill of choice for my wolf this year. Running at 200yds+.

I see no need for anything much bigger. They are an over grown coyote.

My choice is the 6.5 Creedmoor. . In Southeast Alaska a lot of my friends have killed wolves with 06,s and 270 s.. a standard around here is the 243 Win. Some guys have used the 17 Rem and done great with it. One guy uses the 6 mm PPC with 80 gr Hornady FMJS. and has taken dozens of wolves with it. Often they need 2 shots but it works fine. As I've said before I've watched a wolf run 400 yards into the timber when double.lunged by a 168 or 165 gr SMK from an 06 . I know a guy here that has killed lots of wolves and he lost one once that he shot with his 300 Whby .it didn't go far but far enough that he couldn't find it. One of his son's found the skeleton 2 years later about 200 yards from where it was shot. . I know guys that have lost solid hit wolves with a 223 . .
So. It all depends. I wouldn't hesitate a heartbeat to shoot one with my 223 w/ 55 gr fmjs. . If I lost it I'de just keep looking for more. I've shot at them with a 416 Rem mag w/ factory 400 gr Swift A Frames. .. peep sight. I was bear hunting at the time. It was a hundred yards further away than I thot it was.

I think a semi auto 6.5 mm rifle that was accurate would be ideal. Like an AR 10 in 6.5Creed or 260 Rem ect. If its accurate and u have a good scope on it and MOST IMPORTANTLY, YOU CAN SHOOT IT WELL AND FAST!!!!!!!!! . You would have an ideal wolf rifle. But a friend on P.O.W. once killed 3 out of a pack of 5 with his 257 Whby. Mark V. 2 were on the run.

If you guys need a shooter let me know.Its on my bucket list.I would be happy to bring one of every caliber that i have and let you all know which one kills them the best.lol

Back