Bark river ? Yay or nay?

Got one....it's a great little all around knife....BRK's quality is as good if not better than any production knife out there IMO.....mine's D2 FWIW....

Notice how thick the tang is....it's one beefy knife for it's size....

Wow. That is thicker than I thought....but I don't think that's a bad thing.

This looks to be a great knife to toss in the pack...would you think field dressing of a whitetail is at the upper end of what a knife of this size can do?

Seems you can find it in a variety of differnt steels from A2 to s35vn, how does the d2 measure up? Have never had a knife with d2

Originally Posted By: getfoxy

This looks to be a great knife to toss in the pack...would you think field dressing of a whitetail is at the upper end of what a knife of this size can do?

Yep......that would be as much as I'd want to tackle with it but I'm used to smaller knives....I actually prefer em...

Seems you can find it in a variety of differnt steels from A2 to s35vn, how does the d2 measure up? Have never had a knife with d2

I like it fine....I can't keep up with all the trendy "super steels" but I'm familiar with D2 and know what I'm getting so I stick with it....D2 belt knives and 1095 jack knives===KISS....

Now go to Walmart and buy a small diamond fish hook sharpener for $4.95.
Looks like a 3" nail covered with diamond dust on a short handle that has a pocket clip. They work on d2 steels and last a long time.

Originally Posted By: mulespursNow go to Walmart and buy a small diamond fish hook sharpener for $4.95.
Looks like a 3" nail covered with diamond dust on a short handle that has a pocket clip. They work on d2 steels and last a long time.

That's probably not the best advice considering the fact that these knives have convex grinds....
Just strop it on your boot top or a piece of cardboard for a quick touch up....

PS....you'll be surprised how well stropping (away from the edge) on a piece of cardboard works....

I have a Bark River "Gunny Hunter". The size and blade profile are near perfect for me, I've used it on antelope to moose, and most of what lies between. As for edge maintenance I agree with RePete, stropping is the way to go. Here's what I use: BIG BOY strop and BILLY strop.

Knives Ship Free has a good tutorial on how to sharpen a convex grind with a mouse pad and sandpaper....I only have two convex blades so I'm far from an expert but I get by using the mouse pad/sandpaper and cardboard for a touch up...

BTW.....I used my little Barkie all summer and have yet to resharpen.....strop and GTG.....

I use several quite a bit. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for skinning. Wolf river is my favorite skinning knife, but that one's been out of production for years...

I'm on my second BR knife. First one was a A2 mini kephart that stays in the safe. Second one is the ultra lite bush wookie in 3V.
FE80A17E-4CD5-45E5-B7D2-DF7A30987FAB_zpsyob2qpjv.jpg
[/URL

Been hot all winter and the fur looks puny so I've camping out a lot with it.

Everything Charlie said about stroping is gospel. About 20 swipes on the bevel of each side will have you back to shaving sharp . Actually plan on getting a fox river ordered this week

Back