Advice on .308 bullet for yotes

johncraddock445

As you can imagine... I dont save pelts. Currently I'm using 150gr hornady coreloks with varget powder. I have put down 2 yotes with them and both have left small entry and exit holes... I'm looking for a bullet that will produce mostly DRT's a ballistic tip maybe? What say you?

Anything in .308 oughta kill em. Depending on distance, the Hornady 110 vmax oughta make a mess they cant walk away form. The various 120-130 cup and core bullets oughta do the same with a bit better BC. I have used either the Speer 125 or 130 HP on groundhogs and it makes a mess of em outta my 30-06's. Accuracy was as good as my reloaded deer loads or so. Let us know your results!

my 30-06 likes 125gr BT's, I see no reason they won't shoot well in a 308. while I generally use them for smaller critters, they are a game bullet, not a varmint one.

I shot a bunch with a 130g speer TNt, Fed 210, 48-52g of win 748.

The speer tnt opens up a coyote real good! Slings jack rabbits 30 yards.

If you invest in some Lake City unfired brass, it is about 10% tougher than Lapua.

Accuracy node in my rifle was at 3150 fps with the tnt, pressures were up there, LC unfired brass rules the day...no kidding.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotekiller47Get a RCBS Collet style bullet puller. Easiest way to pull them without damage.

^^ this.

you can pull even heavily crimped bullets with one of these.

and nobody will think you're remodeling your house if you're pulling bullets at 2am with an inertia hammer style puller LOL

edit: also give the 125 SST a look. thats a very accurate bullet for me, but i dunno how it'll do on fur at 308 velocitys. i've not had the pleasure of stuffing one through anything at velocity's over 2050 FPS yet and that yielded an exit hole you could drop a quarter into. I'd imagine the exit would be a bit more substantial the closer you get to that 3000 fps mark
smile.gif

Last edited:
110 grain from Nosler, Serria, Hornady VMax will do the job. Have used all 3 and they are DRT so far every time. On caution is that the HP on the Serria is pretty big and depending on the rifle (ar) you may experience mis-feeds. Mine did not but a friend did.

Tom

im a little worried about the 150gr SST's doing the job or not. I somewhat regret not just ordering some 110 or 125 vmax versus just picking up what was on the shelf in store, The last thing I was is more coyotes that run 50 yards after being shot

FWIW, and IIRC, the BC's on the 125-130 gr's allowed a similar ballistics to my 165 gr deer bullets then, while the 100's were significantly less so...again, going on memory here.

Originally Posted By: gotspotsOriginally Posted By: erikc838110 Nosler Varmageddon
110 Sierra Varminter

Or the speer 130 HP.

Deadly!! More like a grenade than a bullet.

Back