AR choice

There are obviously many choices for home defense. Of the three AR choices listed which one would you choose for that function: SBR'd 300 Blackout, SBR'd 9mm, or SBR'd PS 90? Trying to decide....

I'd go with a 300BLK. Full disclosure - I have one, so I'm a bit biased. That said, you get all the knockdown power you could want for home defense and, as a bonus, you get a boat load of parts commonality with your other AR's. If you don't reload, a 300 BLK won't be as cheap to feed as a 9mm. Then again, neither is a PS90. I'm not sure what your home situation is (i.e. house vs apartment or urban vs rural), but a 300BLK can be just as effective at 100+ yards as it is at close range, depending on bullet selection. Not saying you should shoot at home invaders at 100 yards but, if you live in the country, you never know when you might catch a coyote running through the yard.

For inside the home, I would run the 300 blackout. That is what the cartridge was designed for, CQB. If you go that route, I would run supers, not subsonic to improve reliability and K-energy.

i'd run the sbr 300 blk.

if you're shooting it suppressed then by all means go with subs if you want - but pick a good bullet, one that expands - not just 208 amax or 220 SMK's off the shelf. otherwise you could face some pretty serious over penetration issues. Maker offers their 220 "rex" bullet, or a Lehigh 194 ME.

never ceases to amaze me that almost everyone will agree that a 45 acp is a wonderful defense caliber - and could probably kill godzilla according to some of its more ardent fans - but a 30 caliber 200-230gr bullet that expands down to 700 FPS wont get the job done out of a rifle. even when it offers more KE than the 45, expands reliably, and has the advantage of being fired out of a rifle which is inherently more accurate for most people than a pistol.

i'm not suggesting that you shouldn't take advantage of the supersonic side of the caliber too, just trying to take some of the contraversy out of the capability of subsonic 300 blk.

the 78gr Lehigh QCB load looks like a real winner overall though!

video includes some gel results, as well as what happens when the bullets pass through common household wall type construction and furniture.

HTH

12 gauge, #8 birdshot. No over penetration through walls and people, hip shots are accurate. Dead men tell no tales.

^^^^+1 but 8s are too light. Know a guy that was shot 3 times in the chest with 8s. He is still here. I think 6s or 4s would do better.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicks^^^^+1 but 8s are too light. Know a guy that was shot 3 times in the chest with 8s....

Sniff, sniff......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sandy hicks^^^^+1 but 8s are too light. Know a guy that was shot 3 times in the chest with 8s. He is still here. I think 6s or 4s would do better.

I wonder at what distance though?

Sniff all you want CS. Corvette Joe was shot from what I guess to be about 25 to 30 steps with a mossberg 500 defender. 18 inch barrel with a pistol grip. He was shot out the window of a chevy camaro so his shot pattern may have been a little off center. In any case Joe was in the hospital less than a week. In this case I knew both the shooter and the shootee. I cant remember the exact time, 1991 or 1992. I was still stationed at New River and hung out with a lot of Vietnam Vets when I was just cutting my teeth on HD. Joe was a leader of the local chapter of Pagans MC.

I say 4s or 6s would be better. I bought a case of 00 with mine just to be sure. Come over and I'll tell you the whole story and how the shooter beat the wrap.

Here in Indiana you better be shooting at someone INSIDE the home and not outside the home. So accuracy beyond 20 or 30 feet is not going to be a factor. We can't shoot people out in the yard 100 yards away and legally get by with that. So for me a good defensive weapon INSIDE the home is going to be either a pistol or a short shotgun. I prefer using a 9 mm 4" long barreled Pistol with 17 shoot magazine vs my AR15 with a 30 round magazine. The reason is that I can maneuver the short 4" pistol much easier inside the home that I can the 18" long barrel of the AR15.

Actually if I were to shoot an intrude inside my home with either of these two different weapons it would be with multiple shots and they should be dead before the police arrive to investigate the shooting. I will shoot to disable the intruder if they dare break into my home without my permission.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_Here in Indiana you better be shooting at someone INSIDE the home and not outside the home. So accuracy beyond 20 or 30 feet is not going to be a factor. We can't shoot people out in the yard 100 yards away and legally get by with that. So for me a good defensive weapon INSIDE the home is going to be either a pistol or a short shotgun. I prefer using a 9 mm 4" long barreled Pistol with 17 shoot magazine vs my AR15 with a 30 round magazine. The reason is that I can maneuver the short 4" pistol much easier inside the home that I can the 18" long barrel of the AR15.

Actually if I were to shoot an intrude inside my home with either of these two different weapons it would be with multiple shots and they should be dead before the police arrive to investigate the shooting. I will shoot to disable the intruder if they dare break into my home without my permission.

Its pretty much the same deal here in IL. There is no stand-your-ground or castle law here, so a criminal better be in the house before you open fire. My first choice for a home defense firearm is definitely a pistol, but I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't use. Its all about what you're comfortable with and know how to use well at 2 a.m. when some tweaker kicks a window out, waking you from a dead sleep.

The only thing I would disagree with is shooting to "disable." If it comes to the point where I feel like I have to pull the trigger, the last thing I'm going to be thinking about is how to just disable a bad guy. If I was worried about that, I'd use a taser or pepper spray. In a self-defense situation, you don't shoot with the intent to kill and you don't shoot with the intent to wound. You shoot with the intent to stop the threat as quickly as possible. To me, that means aiming at the largest target (torso), so you have a better chance of a good hit. No way am I gonna waste precious time playing the "just shoot him in the leg" game.

Anyway, 300BLK still rules. Can we talk about shooting coyotes now?

Back