Single stage trigger

ksduckhntr

I was shooting my tikka rifle today then switched to my ar. I would really like to upgrade my area trigger to more closely resemble my tikka. Any suggestions around the 200 or less mark? CMC or Timney is one better than the other? Not a competition rifle by any means but mostly blasting and hunting.

I have Timney and BTE triggers on several ARs. I prefer the BTE as it is a tad crisper IMHO but the Timney is one great piece of gear. I built two lowers with the Timneys for PDs and 3Gun and they have delivered everything I need.

Greg

i have a timney in my 22 inch stainless bull barrel varmint rig and absolutely love it. i have not tried any others though, i have only used the JP spring kits on some of my other AR's and i like the lighter pull weight but its not the same thing as my timney.

I recently purchased a James Madison Tactical drop in trigger.I have several high dollar triggers and thought I would give them a try as I have buddy at the range who had one and it felt awesome!
They come with anti walk pins and for $100.00.This trigger is the best trigger I have found for the price.I liked it so much I sold my jewell 2 stage and purchased another one.If you purchase on line direct ask them to throw in there set screw and washer kit they are free incase you have to shim up your trigger pocket as some ar 15 trigger pockets can very in demensions and should you need to shim your pocket you will have them.Trigger fit was perfect in my seekins lower but my aero precision was a little loose and the set screw kit fixed me up.Fast shipping as well
Jamesmadison.com I think these people put out the best $100.00 trigger and will use them in future builds without hesitation.Good luck with what ever way you go.
PS I have over 400 rnds thru 2 rifles without a problem.

Last edited:
i've got timney in a couple of my lowers. love them.

well worth the investment, although i have to admit i'm tempted to try the CMC, velocity or other budget cassette drop in ones too on another build. for the $ saving over a timney it'll be worth the experiment to me.

I had a Timney but they have a slight amount of creep and it would drive me nuts when shooting next to my bolt rifles. I'd like to try their new Calvin Elite trigger for the AR but I don't believe they're available yet.

Out of the triggers I have tried, the only non-Geissele trigger I have kept is the Trigger Tech. I'd recommend giving them a look. It's technically a 2 stage trigger but the first stage is very light, practically unnoticeable.

The only drop in trigger I have in an AR is a CMC and it made an average gun into something far better. IT breaks clean at 3.5 lb and I'd buy another.

I have a stock CMMG in one, a RRA in another with JP springs and a Chip McCormick in a third..The CM is a single stage and the others are two stages...Memory says that I paid about $170 for the CM and about $85 for the RRA with springs...

For the money, the RRA is the better buy, but the CM is less potential trouble since it is less prone to collecting debris, such as dust or powder, should a bullet bounce out of the case...The RRA can be tweaked as to trigger pull weight, while the CM is fixed...

My only experience with Timney is the one that I have in my 10/22 and the one in my Mauser action 6.5 Creedmore and it has be professionally lightened to a matter of ounces...Not something I would suggest for an AR...

My favorite single stage is a Geissele SD-3G. Very light and crisp, very fast and short reset. Timney is a good option also.

I have Timney triggers in three of my AR's. They are all three pound triggers and are all three very crisp. None of the three have any noticeable creep. I've had one of them in several AR's over the past six or seven years, and have probably fired close to a thousand rounds with it. I haven't weighed it, but it seems that it's become lighter over the past couple seasons.
I've tried Jards, RRA 2 stage, JP Industries, and a Jewell. I like the Timney triggers above all the others.

I've tried probably twenty Ar triggers, there's only a few that stand out imo. Ar gold, triggertech and elf tactical. With that being said the new Timney Calvin elite looks promising.

I'm in the same boat as Kyle. Running the Elftman in all of mine now. Narrowly beating the AR-Gold. Triggers are about like grips though, to each their own.

I have the Timney and Lucas triggers on ours. I prefer the Lucas & they cost a bit less than the Timney to boot. I find that they break 1 lb lower & more consistently the Timney does.

Back