Talk me out of building a 284 win.

In my opinion the 284 case is better suited in a long action. The 7-08 in a short action would be about as close as you can get to that kind of performance. With the 7-08 you can also run the Lapua 308 palma, small rifle brass.

I have been around a fair number of rifles built by West Texas Ordnance, and every one of them has been a very impressive shooter. A good friend of mine I shoot LR with quite a bit is in the process of having them rebarrel his Claymore action using their Switch-lug system. The two barrels he is getting are a 6.5x47 (Krieger) and a 7mm SAW (Proof Research). Here is a link to the 7 SAW, you might find it interesting. He also has a 22 LRV built by them, and that thing is just crazy how well it shoots 80 grain Bergers.

https://westtexordnance.com/7mm-saw/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: boonecountyThanks for the options so far gentlemen. My VTR as I believe all VTR's is a short action. 7mm-08 kinda seems like a bit of a limp noodle compared to the 284 win? Or am I wrong? 6.5x284 is awesome, but already have 260 rem in the stable, and looking for something with more uumpph at range. 7 saum seems great, but what about brass availability?

The 7-08 can be loaded to within 100-200 FPS of the 284 Win...that should't be the only factor considered IMO.

Both are wonderful cartridges, but I have a slight preference to the 7-08...simply that though, a preference. I'd not kick either out of bed for eating crackers.

7/08 AI = 284

7/08 AI = 140 at 3000
120 at 3200-3250

The 7mm SAW is basically a 7-08 AI, with a couple of minor changes. It is also designed around the 308 Palma small primer brass.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTPinTXThe 7mm SAW is basically a 7-08 AI, with a couple of minor changes. It is also designed around the 308 Palma small primer brass.

I like the pushed back, longer neck of the SAW. It reminds me of the 6SLR.

I agree. When the factory barrel on my 243 is shot out (maybe another year or so) it will be re-barreled as a 6 SLR. I prefer more case neck myself.

Clayton (owner of WTO) has been running the 7 SAW in PRS and doing really well with it.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: boonecountyThanks for the options so far gentlemen. My VTR as I believe all VTR's is a short action. 7mm-08 kinda seems like a bit of a limp noodle compared to the 284 win? Or am I wrong? 6.5x284 is awesome, but already have 260 rem in the stable, and looking for something with more uumpph at range. 7 saum seems great, but what about brass availability?

The 7-08 can be loaded to within 100-200 FPS of the 284 Win...that should't be the only factor considered IMO.

Both are wonderful cartridges, but I have a slight preference to the 7-08...simply that though, a preference. I'd not kick either out of bed for eating crackers.

7/08 AI = 284

7/08 AI = 140 at 3000
120 at 3200-3250

And if it were me, I'd spark the fire with a SRP via resized and formed 308 Palma brass. I just like the idea of some extra web support.

The 284 Win is my favorite round, though as posted, cases(or ammo) can be a pain to locate. Unless you have a supply I'd lean 7mm-08. Thankfully I have a good number of cases to get me by.

If your main use is MO deer hunting, the 284 or 7mm-08 would be ideal. I use 120-140 grain bullets with my 284/7mm-08 reloading.

So what I'm seeing is that for optimum performance in the 284 using today's longer high b.c. bullets it's better suited in long action. Plus brass availability is a choke point...maybe I should trade off my short action for an LA and go with the 280 ai?

Originally Posted By: boonecountySo what I'm seeing is that for optimum performance in the 284 using today's longer high b.c. bullets it's better suited in long action. Plus brass availability is a choke point...maybe I should trade off my short action for an LA and go with the 280 ai?

The most important thing, with regard to using a SA or LA, is the appropriate reamer is used and it gets throated properly for either a SA or LA. If a SA 284 is setup properly, seating the bullet deeper in the case will yield little difference in velocity versus one that was built on a LA with the bullet seated way out.

I'm running 2 separate 284s, one is a trued Remington 700 LA with a krieger 9 twist RV contour at 26. I love the rifle and it is a consistant shooter out to 875, with me limiting it to around 500 on game. 180 Bergers are pushing 2720 fps on average. I also use it in a Barnard mode p for f class. 30 inch barrel running the 180 hybrids. The round is consistant and have seen some get around 2000 rounds before rebarreing.

For hunting a 6.5x284 is a good option but they are a barrel burner as told from friends running them. I like the 284 just because you have a good selection of bullets and it's not a heavy kicking rifle. I have not ran one in a short action, but if you do like others said your best bet is to run as a single shot to get the bullet seated out there. Check accurate shooter, there is an article of a gentleman that chambered up a 284 in a short action surgeon. He got good results as well.

If Hillary Clinton loves it then its got to be good. Hard to believe her and I agree on something.

Its a short action 280, Hard to go wrong with that.

I just came back from a gunshow. It was of modest sized, but 284 ammo or cases were non-existent. If one plans on a 284, do some research on reloading cases or ammo before committing.

yea that's the other downside. The brass I use in both is Norma, Neck turned to 14.5 thou. they run about $130 per $100.
scared.gif

I don't know if Norma makes new 284 brass, but I think there's a lot of pent up demand. Maybe during this quiet time some Co will retool & make some fresh 284 brass?

I think there would be a run in it for a bit.

+1 XPhunter
6.5-284 would make an excellent hunting rifle. It is also an excellent f class round, it just does not have the barrel life of the 284 as I have seen and heard. A lot of the shooters in 1000 yd f class have moved to the 284 win, or some variant of 7mm.

Back