Starting on the 308

nastynatesfish

Put a ace skeleton stock on it. Pulled a 2.5-16x42 elite 6500 off a 223 and put it on. Had a spare versapod in the closet I put on. It doesn't fit tight to the sling stud so I'm gonna look into an atlas with bonus money. The rock river lar8 also takes fal mags. Stopped at the local pawn shop and found some inch mags for 20 bucks each. They were all rusted up(OMG!!!) talked them down to 5 bucks each. So I bought all 10 they had. Sanded them and cleaned them up. Shot them with some left over fde duracoat I had from a rifle I did.
Hopefully I can shoot it next week on days off.

Last edited:
Tried to upload a pic of the rifle but no wifi so I'll get it tomorrow. Gonna pick up some 168gr rounds from a local ffl that does the loading for dept of corrections and the sheriff department. sells for .68c each. Then I'll get some bullets and brass to start. Not sure if I wanna run 168 or some sort or 175s

Last edited:
Nate, I really wish you would not post these pictures. You are killing me... I want a .308 bad but have too many irons in the fire right now to build one. Eventually I will build one. I like your rifle. What barrel did you put on it? Keep up the good work and post how it shoots.

Originally Posted By: yotekiller47Nate, I really wish you would not post these pictures. You are killing me... I want a .308 bad but have too many irons in the fire right now to build one. Eventually I will build one. I like your rifle. What barrel did you put on it? Keep up the good work and post how it shoots.
I didn't build this rifle. I actually traded a smith and Wesson 629-6 talo 2-1/2" 44 mag straight across from it at a local pawn shop. New in box. I think I got a good deal. I've read they use Wilson barrels so I'm expecting good accuracy from it.

Last edited:
not a big fan of those DMPS style handguards.... they're SOOO heavy compared to most of whats avialbe out there today.

otherwise sweet looking gun
smile.gif

cant wait to see a range report.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onenot a big fan of those DMPS style handguards.... they're SOOO heavy compared to most of whats avialbe out there today.

otherwise sweet looking gun
smile.gif

cant wait to see a range report.
I'm not a big fan either but I can only get replacements from rock river. I'm gonna look into it with my bonus money if I can and the whole rifle is heavy compared to my sons recon gen 2. But I like it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishOriginally Posted By: yotekiller47Nate, I really wish you would not post these pictures. You are killing me... I want a .308 bad but have too many irons in the fire right now to build one. Eventually I will build one. I like your rifle. What barrel did you put on it? Keep up the good work and post how it shoots.
I didn't build this rifle. I actually traded a smith and Wesson 629-6 talo 2-1/2" 44 mag straight across from it at a local pawn shop. New in box. I think I got a good deal. I've read they use Wilson barrels so I'm expecting good accuracy from it. Don't know how the .308 will shoot but I ordered a Wilson back in Dec. and am getting nice groups out of it. It is a 20" with the Wylde chamber. So far I really like it . Keep us posted on how it shoots. Got a Grendel barrel ordered and after that it will be working on the .308

Everything I've read on the lar8 is its a pretty dang good shooter. Ben on graveyards the last week. Hoping to run a few rounds through it the next day or so. I still need to get some bullets and brass again

Back