Question about reloads bouncing around

dan158

Has anyone noticed much of a change in POI after ammo been in truck weeks and months at time? You know all the bounce and bumps that settles and packs the powder down in the cases? For target size animals mine still hits where I aim at but have not tried on paper to see if any change of dramatic occurs.. Just a thought is all.. Dan

i would assume that if ammo suffered that way - the military would be in a bad spot shipping ammo all over the world.

just my thoughts.

I see a better possibility of POI shift from the ammo getting warmed up and then cooled off everyday. Yes, the military doesnt worry about temp shifts but I consider our hunting ammo to be made with better precision and quality. Especially for the guys that reload.
Why not just take the ammo out of the truck when you take the weapon out of the truck?

If you are loading with a 'stick', or extruded powder, you would more likely see a difference with the powder breaking down than with a 'ball', or spherical powder, but as stated the difference in temperature/humidity swings would be more detrimental...

The military generally uses a tried and tested blend of powders, as do the commercial factory production rounds..Your reloads probably wouldn't have a difference show up unless you were shooting from a very stable benchrest type testing...

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRH
Why not just take the ammo out of the truck when you take the weapon out of the truck?

That would imply the rifle comes out of the truck.

Hasn't this myth been debunked? Didn't somebody tumble/vibrate live ammo and chronograph it with no differnce over control ammo?

Seems if it was a legit issue we'd all know about it being an issue.

I read an article about this subject on Accurateshooter, at least I think it was there and it discussed the different size powders and case capacities and powder settling in the case. I just don't remember the results of the discussion. Some help I am huh? If I remember correctly, it didn't make any noticeable difference unless there were reduced loads being looked at and some over pressure issues caused by flame skipping over the load in the case.

Could be temp sensitive powder, individual bullet weight per manufactured batch, or actual powder measurement. I would imagine your talking a drastic impact like dropping a box of ammo on concrete would be something to consider too!
I really dont think bouncing would be an issue!

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleIf you are loading with a 'stick', or extruded powder, you would more likely see a difference with the powder breaking down .

Nope...been debunked many times. There are plenty of "experiments" documented around.

I think it's real. I know just carrying ammo around while hiking makes it very inaccurate. No other reason I miss Coyotes on stand.....

Total myth and nothing to worry about. Hodgdon powder has a very long boat ride from Australia, and many miles in a semi. If it were an issue they would be worried about it.

Thanks all.. I keep at least one gun and ammo in my truck all the time 24/7.. Wasn't sure if compressing the load would be dramatic on POI or not.. Like some who use a drop tube to get more powder in a case that changes the space volume.. Dan

Back