Comparisons on Leupold, Nightforce, and Vortex needed

Jhedges

Basically, I am going to run a new build that I am pulling the Bushnell ERS Tactical 6-24 off of my 223 for a lower power optic. I currently have two NF, one NXS 3-15, and one Benchrest. Now in a perfect world I would just buy another NXS to run on it, but I'm not able to do that.

But, I was looking at a couple good quality scopes at a little lower price. Now I can get both scopes that I'm looking at near the same price, One being the Leupold Mark 4, M1's with a duplex, or the other the GEN 2 PST Viper, from Vortex. Now I looked through a buddies GEN 2 PST, and the glass appears to be very clear, and the clicks seemed to be nice. Not to mention a zero stop and a solid reticle (MOA).

To those owning the Mark 4, how would you compare the glass to the higher NF optics? I have a VX3 and I love the scope for a hunting rifle, but as I said this scope will be used mainly for Long range with a 223, max being 800yds, and dialing. I love my VX3 and have not had one bit of problem from switching from gun to gun. Plus I love that Leupold is made in the USA.

Thanks for any help!

Have you looked at the new night force shv 5-20 has an exposed elevation turret and a zero set which basically will work as a zero stop but will go a few clicks below zero. It has the same exact glass as the nxs I have talked to nightforce about this. If you haven't checked out athlon I would try and get your hands on some of there upper end scopes and give them a consideration.

I don't have a mk4 but I have owned a mk6. I sold it to buy a nightforce atacr and haven't regretted it one bit. The glass wasn't bad on the mk6, the turrets were.

I'm curious to see how people like the gen 2 PSTs

What power optic are you looking for?

I was looking in the 15x range, I might just bite the bullet and get another nightforce nxs in 22x and just replace the 15x nxs on my 6x47. I was just wondering thoughts on a medium range optic right at the $1000 mark.

I am not currently nor never have been impressed with the Nightforce NXS optically. It's falls short of high end Leupolds like the VX6 and Mark 4 as well as (this one is presumed) Mark 6/8. I know they're tough, but the image quality isn't there for me, and anyone I've showed it to side by side agrees. For an optic seldom dialed... I'm all in for Mark 4 Target and VX6. It's there if you need it...

The ATACR is bad to the bone from any angle, including optically. It is even as good or better than my Duralyt, and I was VERY surprised that (to my eye) it outperformed the Kahles 6-24.

Vortex Viper PST is a joke at their market price. Ask me how I know....

VX3 is a good optic for plain old hunting. I have several.

The Vortex Razor HD would have me excited at $1200, but for what they ask it's meh.....
The Vortex Razor AMG is a fine piece of machinery. [beeep] fine, and I want one of my own.

I have a Mark 4 Leupold 4.5x14x50 with Illuminated TMR Reticle. It is as clear as my Nightforce, sometimes seems clearer, and I am really impressed with it. Also have the VX3's and like them. I don't think you could go wrong with the Mark 4. If you could get the ATACR that is what I would get. Only have had the lower end Vortex so I can't comment on them.

Yotekiller and cz527 how are the knobs on the mark 4? I would be dialing a lot with it, and need repeatability. I love my vx3 and my nxs. I don't have a problem with the glass of a nxs. I think it's very clear and I have looked through and shot kahles, and schmidts. Jeff and brad sure ruined me there. I would like a good dialing scope on a 223, and I love leupold. It would be a mark 4 with a duplex and moa turrets. I can get a really good price and I'm just wondering if it would be worth replacing a bushnell ers 6-24x50 ffp that currently sits on it.

Define "a lot" please.

For what it's worth, I have only had one Mark 4 that didn't hold up to recreational clicking.

A lot in my sense, is every time we shoot we dial. We don't hold over unless its merely holding left edge or right edge for slight wind, and most of our practice mean running on steel from 200 through 700. Pretty well every time I shoot there is dialing, so it is an important feature.

I have a leupold 8-25x50 mark 4 and the glass is better than the bushnell ers 3-21x50 i sold. The bushnell had nicer clicks on the turrets but they were huge. Im just a leupold guy myself.

Back