Dye on a pack?

GWHunter

I have an older Kings Snow Shadow mountain top core hunter pack. The more I get to use the pack the more I like it. I love the location and size of the pockets and pouches. It really is perfect for my set up. I'd love to order one in a none snow camo but now they no longer make that pack. When I originally ordered it they accidently shipped me two of them and I have one unused still in the plastic. My question is has anyone ever tried to dye something like a pack? It is supposed to be water resistant but I dunno, never really soaked it. I was thinking of mixing up a few different colored dyes in spray bottles and hanging it and spray it on in a camo pattern of sorts. Think this would work? I'd hate to ruin a good pack when I could keep it as a back up.

well, don't see how what you are thinking of doing would ruin the pack. it may end up looking ugly, may look weird, may look ok, might not even take the dye. but don't see how it could ruin it.

i have used the krylon camo paints on stuff like canvas and cloth before with good results. takes a long time before the smell goes away, but it eventually does and then all is good.

Not likely to work...although you will probably change the color. Dying Nylon isn't like doing a tie dye cotton shirt. Since it has a DWR on it and some type of poly backing, you won't get any penetration.

Johral is right. Synthetic fibers do not dye well like natural fibers do. You could maybe spray it, but then you are stuck with the smell for some time.

Sure lots of folks dye backpacks, particularly long distance and lightweight backpackers. They just use Rit dye from Walmart and really hot water. Some synthetic fibers don't take dye but most will with HEAT.

I'm going to dye my green backpack brown soon. Been planning on doing it all winter.

The method is to get a rubbermaid tub big enough for your pack to be submurged. Add HOT water. The water needs to be really hot but not hot enough to melt your pack. Get the pack soaking wet, use a piece of wood or something to push the pack under water.

Remove the pack briefly while you add the Rit dye. Submerge the pack and stir a bunch to make sure the dye gets into all the nooks and crannies. Use large rocks etc to keep the pack submerged. Let it soak and stir now and then.

Dump the dye water out and rinse the pack several times with clear cold water. A final rinse in the washing mashine rinse cycle only cold water spin dry helps get the excess dye out of padded shoulder straps etc. Let it hang dry.

Just follow the instructions on the bottle. I never heard vinegar is needed with Rit dye on synthetic backpack materials.

Back