22-250 to 20 practical

Paccar

I have a nice 22-250 700 remington action that has had some trigger work and shoots amazing but I'm not a huge fan of the caliber & would like to make another 20 practical. What would be needed beside the barrel to make it work??

Originally Posted By: PaccarI have a nice 22-250 700 remington action that has had some trigger work and shoots amazing but I'm not a huge fan of the caliber & would like to make another 20 practical. What would be needed beside the barrel to make it work??

A new bolt will be needed. The rails of the action may be too wide, I'm too lazy to open the safe and go get mine to measure, to allow for the 20 to be used as a repeater.

Greg

The problems are in the action, not the stock its in. The bolt face is different in the 250 and the 20 practical. You will need a new bolt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PaccarI would be putting it in a MTD LSS chassis would that help??

The rails are part of the action so no in that case.

Greg

It it was mine I would just get another gun. That way you would have both and you would not have to cannibalize what you have now.

Thanks so if you had to pick a donor what action-trigger combo would you pick for the best bang for the buck?? 204 I assume??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PaccarThanks so if you had to pick a donor what action-trigger combo would you pick for the best bang for the buck?? 204 I assume??

Either 204 or 223. I would go with a good Savage for versatility but I have plenty of Remingtons too..lol

On a chassis I would go Remage.

Greg

Last edited:
Just get a .204 and call it a day...
The brass isn't that much difference in price new, unless you already have a whole bunch of once fired .223 brass. The Dies will be cheaper for a .204 than a 20 practical too. Plus the .204 will give you more muzzle velocity. The only reason's as I see it to build a 20 practical are A. you have a whole bunch of .223 brass, B. you will be shooting it in an AR and losing a fair amount of it...

Remingtons are much harder to convert. I wouldn't mess with it. If I wanted a 20 Practical, I'd start with a different donor.

A Remington in 223 would be easy to convert. Any Savage short action would be easy to convert. I took a Savage 22-250, changed the bolt head, dropped it into an XLR chassis, added a new barrel, and had a 20 Practical. A Remington set up for a cartridge with a wider bolt head could be more complex to convert the magazine if it isn't set up for DBM.

I'd counter that the dies are more expensive. If you already shoot 223, you have a FL sizer die. So all you need is a 223 neck bushing die. There's nothing exotic to reloading 20 Practical. And 223 brass is ALWAYS available, this is not always the case for 204.

Last edited:
If your he11 bent on a 20 Pratical, your going to have to get a new bolt if you want to use your 250 action. You might swap someone your 22-250 bolt for their 223/204 bolt. Then buy a RemAge barrel and save some money that way. IMO, that would be the cheapest way to get a 20P. I have a 20P and its a neat little round but it won't do anything a 204 won't do....... but it is a neat little round.

Back