Another season starts

Wow.... Such amazing photography....Writing that makes me sit on the edge of my chair...Accuracy in every sense of the word. Thanks for including all of us.

I truly appreciate the comments!
A couple more weekends to hunt before shutting down for another season. Seems like this season flew by and with so many places to hunt and so little time to actually hunt, next fall can't come soon enough!

I got a phone call last night from the lady that called me awhile back about those pesky coyotes who were eyeing up her cats and small dog for a snack. She said the coyotes were back and hoped I would once again come and take care of a few.
Tonight after work I took a drive to her place and basically set up in the same spot as I had the last time there.
Started off with a couple howls and after a few minutes I switched to cottontail distress which brings a scruffy coyote into view but it looked to be angling away from me.
This coyote kept stopping and looking back so I figured there could be another coyote coming.
Some more cottontail distress was answered by an aggressive challenge howl which confirmed there to be another coyote.
It wasn’t long before seeing the coyote pop over a small hill and making tracks straight towards me. This coyote was worse looking than the previous one and I watched it stop and do a few back leg scratches in the snow before charging my way again. It took a few barks to get this ticked off coyote to stop but it finally did. A shot to the chest drops it in its tracks. Never thought to range the distance but it would have been around 100 yards. Probably did this mange infested mutt a favor by taking it out.
forum image hosting

Last edited:
Yes you did. Too bad you didn't get both of the mangey nuts. All the hype about the big snow snow was a big old bust around here. Everything went south. But again congrats on getting more of those dogs. Thanks for the pics and story.

Thank you lockrotor, Its too bad the snows missed you, There nothing like hunting dogs on snow
smile.gif

Well this morning, it was coyote #55 for me and my son connected on a couple also.

First set never produced any action. Second set was better with coyotes answering me after I gave a couple howls with the cow horn howler.
My son and I were sitting back to back at a willow bush which was located at the junction of two ravines. He was watching the ravine to the south and I was keeping an eye on the ravine to the west. The coyotes that answered my howls were to the south but never showed themselves. I switched to an open reed distress call and let fly with it. Roughly a half minute passes before hearing the words "here they come". I look to the south and see four coyotes running flat out towards us. What a sight to see and I never get tired watching coyotes who are totally committed to come in! When the lead coyote stops my son drops the hammer on it.
screen shot windows
The other coyotes scatter but I have the howler already up to my mouth ready to give some yelps. The yelps pull one back which runs past the downed coyote and stops at 52 yards. As I pull the trigger I hear the report of the other rifle. My shot hits the coyote square in the chest with my sons shot also hitting just before it dropped. Double trouble for that coyote!
Not a good coyote.
screen shot windows

From there we check out a spot where I have seen coyotes mousing in a field over the past few days. Park the truck on a lease road and off we go to see what might be on the other side of the hills. A quarter mile walk is all that is needed before spotting two coyotes mousing in the field. We sneak closer and I give Jr. a range of 237 yards on closest one. Both were not good looking coyotes but now the second one had just went out of sight. I told my hunting partner to take the shot on the one in view. He drops that coyote like it had been hit with a freight train.
screen shot windows

Thank you all
thumbup1.gif

The forecast was for snow & wind this morning and that is exactly what we had. Not a fan of hunting in the wind but knowing I have never shot a coyote from the couch, I went out anyways.
The only spot that I had in mind was on the downwind side of a large block of bush.
Seeing snow swirling across the open fields on my drive confirmed I best get out of the wind as much as possible. Parked the truck out of sight and then journeyed to where I would be calling from. Listening to the wind howl through the trees made me appreciate being in as calm of conditions as a guy could expect on such a blustery day.
Set up at a set of harrows which were situated 100 yards from the trees. Start off with some howls and pleased that I can hear the sound echoing through the trees. At least I know the sound is overriding the wind to some degree. Nothing shows after two series of howls so it was time to switch to some distress calls. The whaling of the dying rabbit brought ravens, magpies and lastly a lone coyote. This coyote stepped out of the trees and was looking for where the action was but missed seeing a rifle barrel being moved a few degrees and pointed in its direction. A 99 yard shot (ranged) has the coyote settled down in the fresh snow. Called for a bit longer but even the birds never came around. It was a short hunt but I was happy with the results considering the conditions.
Where I was set up at. Can't see the coyote but it is laying at the edge of the bush. Almost half way between the "82" and the wheels on the harrows.
image hosting free
Where the coyote was dropped:You may notice, I shot this one between the "lookers". I had to push to ole eyeballs back in for the picture.
image hosting free

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: titch--Nice job.

We still have no snow here, unless you count the .3 of a cm we got today.
smile.gif

The weekend prior was brown in a lot of the fields but recent cold temperatures and snow changed that. Even seen a gopher and geese last weekend but that was short lived.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: titch--Gophers in February, thats gotta be a first.
It was a first for me! But now the pasture land is white again.

Originally Posted By: Dewey NYWay to go Snowshoes.. Keep after em..
Thank you, I won't be after them for much longer though. Most likely shutting it down after this weekend.

I booked the morning off to check on coyote activities in a nearby field. It was spot and stalk on this coyote which I shot at 168 yards.

image hosting over 5mb
My son had the day off work and was also hunting but not in the same area as I. He definitely out distanced me on the one he got. 408 yards, shot with a 6BR.

image url upload

What's that white stuff on the ground. Is it, or could it be, snow, that stuff we have nothing of on the ground.
Congrats to both of you for having a great season and sharing.

Back