Where do you AR shooters get 243 WSSM brass?

Dultimatpredator

I see there are some posters that have this caliber. Dosent seem like anyone makes brass accept for hillbillies reforming brass. Do you guys make your own or is it for sale somewhere that dosent charge three times the going rate? I figured if manufactures are still making uppers for this round brass has to be available somewhere?

Last edited:
I got one from Dtech several years ago, and I'm very pleased with it. Not long after I got it, the ammo started drying up. I immediately bought up as much brass as I could. I'll admit I don't shoot it as much as I'd like to, but I hate to think of getting rid of it.

I read and article not long ago, and it gives a glimmer of hope for ammo coming back possibly this year. I hope it's true!

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/06/243-wssm-winchester-super-short-magnum/#axzz4ZEaXwA4N

Quote:Ok, so I have discovered a back story to the 243 WSSM production woes. It boils down to politics. I could not reach anyone at Winchester for comment on the legal aspects of this, but here is the rumored problem. There seems to be a patent on a mathematical formula dealing with ALL Super Short Magnum calibers. The patent isn’t on something someone manufactures physically per say, but basically a theory. Nothing is being manufactured by the patent holder. It is vague and rather surprising, as well as frustrating, considering that most common calibers are in the public domain and readily available for anyone to mass produce. In fact, some of the references used in this formula patent are from ammunition designers who often put their work product freely in the public domain, benefiting firearms and ammunition makers along with shooters. Since it appears to me that the patent deals very oddly with a mathematical formula, rather than a specific, tangible thing one would build. It mentions specifically only “Short Action” rifles, but it isn’t an actual particular shape of brass or bullet that is proprietary. In fact 243 WSSM uses parent brass from another caliber!

It appears odd that the patent was even granted, since shouldered cartridges have been in the public domain for over a 100 years and nothing the patent protects is physically manufactured.

It was expressed to me with surprise and frustration that the patent essentially locks up ALL Super Short Magnum calibers and not just one specific cartridge. My source was also surprised that the patent was awarded due to such vagueness and the fact nothing is being manufactured.

Nonetheless, this is the problem as I see it, and 243 WSSM is right smack dab in the middle of the mess. Winchester created the 243 WSSM and introduced it in 2003. Not too long after that, they were sued for patent infringement. Supposedly, a deal was reached (can not confirm with either party) whereby rather than pay royalties on the ammunition they were producing, an agreement was reached to pay a commission/royalty on rifles built and sold in that caliber. Winchester’s purpose was to ensure that there would be ammunition on the market (and that’s a good thing). All sounds reasonable to me. Once the supposed deal was reached, Winchester stopped producing the rifles in that caliber. Hence, no royalties! Right or wrong, that is what is rumored. Now it appears the only hope of getting affordable, widely available, 243 WSSM ammunition will be when the patent sunsets and it becomes public domain – less than a year away possibly.

Well, i called winchester today and was told directly from them to forget about looking and waiting for WSSM brass and get a gun in a different caliber.

Last edited:
Back