Shortening the AZ Gunnison prairie dog season...

rcmark

FYI

Arizona Game & Fish Department - AZ
The Department recommends no change to the other birds and mammals seasons for 2016–2017 and 2017-2018, except for the Gunnison’s prairie dog season. The Department recommends shortening the Gunnison prairie dog season by two weeks during pup rearing period in the summer; this would be closing the last 2 weeks of June for season dates of July 1 to March 31.
The Department also recommends closing the White Mountains Grasslands Wildlife Area to the take of Gunnison’s prairie dogs because of a 90% decline in that population, a result of plague.

Originally Posted By: crapshootWeren't they put there for the purpose of feeding the black footed ferret?

No they were there a long time before Game & fish reintroduction the ferret.
I think it's just a way to take away from one hunting group & give to a nonhunting group

Joe

Last edited:
Any of you guys shoot up around Seligman this time of year? We were looking at driving up there next week, thought we would throw in some rifles, the wife wants to pop a few dogs while were are up there. Temps look to be in the mid-60's next week.

Hawk Driver, I think it would be unlikely as The Gunnison prairie dog hibernate in the winter. I have made trips in late March and have not seen any out,but you can give it a try as long as your up there.

Joe

Last edited:
Yup, we passed thru twice, none out while going thru.

A buddy wanted to head up late this month, figure we will wait for the opener again.

Thanks

Back