1.5 vs 2 Inch OD

Paccar

Did a search but nothing came up. My question is what is the benefits of going to a 2 inch suppressor vs a 1.5 inch suppressor?? If going 2 inch are they able to shorten them up but get the same reduction in noise?? Just trying to figure out what the thinking behind the 2 inch is?

interesting question.
Don't think volume of the cylinder is the only variable to consider.
Probably baffle shape/structure plays a very important role.

Simple volume #s starting with 1.5" dia x 8" = 14.4 cubic"
volume from 2" x 8" = 25.1 cubic"
then to shorten a 2" to match the 1.5" example's volume, is 4.5" length.

Would like to here from our suppressor experts, TIA..

I'm no expert by any means and this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt but typically you only see the larger dia. cans on the 338 and larger suppressors and I'm guessing they use a larger diameter to better handle the larger volume of gas created from the burning or larger amounts of powder. I'm not sure I've ever seen a short, large diameter can before.

We made short fat cans 10 years ago. The larger size does give you much more volume. Volume is great for suppressing. Thats why our Ultra 9 is quieter than our Ultra 7. Large amounts of volume to trap gas in works great but makes things larger and heavier. Our 338 Ultra does suppress sub calibers extremely well due to the large volume of gas it can trap even though the bore is bigger than should be for 308, 6.5 ect. You can see what volume does in this video.

Feel free to contact me if you want to talk about suppressors. I don't know it all but I know a little.

Back