Rifle protection while backpacking

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
Folks, I spent a couple days recently hunting in some pretty rugged terrain and remembered just how much of a beating a rifle can take in some situations. In an effort to keep my little Kimber looking nice and performing well, I'm now on the prowl for a rifle cover that will a) protect the rifle from scrapes, scratches, and dents; is b) durable and well made; and c) is relatively light weight and easy to stow when not in use.

Contenders are:

Solo Hunter Mountain Lite

Alpine Innovations GunSlicker

Caldwell Fast Case

Anybody have any first-hand experience wit these products/manufacturers? What other options am I missing?

Hey now.
grin.gif
I only fell once, okay, twice. My elbow still hurts. And my knee. But none of that hurt the rifle. It was secured to the pack. However, all the brush I had to crash through and rocks I had to clamber over, around, or past are a problem.

That does seem pretty nice. Any ideas how much it weighs? I'll be carrying the rifle on me, not a horse or ATV, so weight is important.

I am not good at guessing the weight of small things like this but I used it all day yesterday and truthfully never noticed any difference from when I just carry the rifle on my shoulder. The upside to this one is that the neoprene also offers pretty good protection from bumps and dings. I am VERY happy!

Originally Posted By: jcs271I am not good at guessing the weight of small things like this but I used it all day yesterday and truthfully never noticed any difference from when I just carry the rifle on my shoulder. The upside to this one is that the neoprene also offers pretty good protection from bumps and dings. I am VERY happy!

I may pull the trigger on one of these. Just a quick question before I do. It looks like it in the pic, but are you able to use your sling with this?

I ended up with the Solo Hunter and like it so far. One warning though, if your rifle is longer than a Kimber 8400, don't bother. It's stretched to the limit for my rifle.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: jcs271I am not good at guessing the weight of small things like this but I used it all day yesterday and truthfully never noticed any difference from when I just carry the rifle on my shoulder. The upside to this one is that the neoprene also offers pretty good protection from bumps and dings. I am VERY happy!

I may pull the trigger on one of these. Just a quick question before I do. It looks like it in the pic, but are you able to use your sling with this?
Yes. There is no sling on the Scabbard you use your rifle sling to keep it on your shoulder.

Originally Posted By: jcs271Originally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: jcs271I am not good at guessing the weight of small things like this but I used it all day yesterday and truthfully never noticed any difference from when I just carry the rifle on my shoulder. The upside to this one is that the neoprene also offers pretty good protection from bumps and dings. I am VERY happy!

Yes. There is no sling on the Scabbard you use your rifle sling to keep it on your shoulder.

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

How about a pair of pantyhose. One leg for the barrel and one leg on the stock and wrap the crotch around the scope-action. Cheep, if you an find a used one.

Back