Best .223 factory ammo for prairie dogs out to 500 yards...

rcmark

What would you recommend to try for 1:9 twist:

Best .223 factory ammo for prairie dogs price unlimited.

Best .223 factory ammo for prairie dogs price 50 cents per round or less.

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: jumprightinithttp://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-rifle-ammo/223-remington/

You can get their remanufactured ammo for a little less, hard to tell the difference.

Black Hills 60 V-Max was the best factory ammo I ever shot.
thumbup1.gif

I have a Ruger Amerian Predator in .223 with a 1:9, and I shoot Winchester 40 Gr. Varmint-X. My longest confirmed shot is 585 yards. Very accurate and tears them up too. $17.99 per box of 20.

Take a look at the Australian Outback ammo with the 55 grain Sierra Blitzking bullet. We tested some last year on prairie dogs, through an AR15, and our farthest kill was 372 yards. We definitely could have gone farther, but we were concentrating on video we could use, so we were trying to shoot a bit closer. I just saw it at Cabela's in Boise, ID for $10.00 a box of #20. I know they are going to be changing the bullet, so it might be on clearance.

Eric
cool.gif

I shot some Fiocchi 50 gr v-max this year on prairie dogs, and they really shot well. My longest shot was around 250, so not sure about longer distances. I saw some at Cabelas for $22 for a box of 50 (on sale). Eric, I also saw the Outback ammo, but decided to try the Fiocchi. Next trip, I'll pick up some Outback and try it.

Look for a NBT (or varmint bullet) around 60 grains that shoots the best in your barrel.
Every barrel is different.

Originally Posted By: nr123I shot some Fiocchi 50 gr v-max this year on prairie dogs, and they really shot well. My longest shot was around 250, so not sure about longer distances. I saw some at Cabelas for $22 for a box of 50 (on sale). Eric, I also saw the Outback ammo, but decided to try the Fiocchi. Next trip, I'll pick up some Outback and try it.

Let us know how the Fiocchi does as well!

Thanks!

Eric
cool.gif

I have a Savage 10FCP-K in .223 with 1:9 twist. This gun will not shoot anything in the 50-60 grain range, but is deadly with Fiocchi 40gr V-Max. Literally shoots same hole at 200 yards all day. I have hit p-dogs in N.D out to 300 yards no problem.

Last edited:
Stevens 200 24 inch bbl 1:9 twist. Off the shelf if I do my part
$$$- Hornady 55gr V-max. .5 inch or less
$- Australian outback 55gr Sierra Blitz King .75-.5 inch

Palmetto State Armory M4. 16 inch bbl 1;7 twist and 16 inch mid-length bbl 1:7 twist
$$$- Winchester Varmint X 40gr .5 inch or less
$$$- Hornady 55gr V-max .75-.5 inch
$- Australian outback 55gr Sierra Blitz King .75 inch or less

The Aussie Outback is great off the shelf ammo

Back