Coyote hunter shoots man

Man, that sucks.

I've called in two humans at night, pitch dark, saw them on thermal. They came investigating the howling, they sh*t themselves when a human voice yelled at them.

Quote:

Police: Father, son hunting coyotes shoot NY man by accident

2/21/17 9:57 AM

SWEDEN, N.Y. — Authorities say a man has been seriously injured after being accidentally shot by a father and son hunting coyotes in a rural western New York town.

The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office says the shooting occurred around 6:30 p.m. Monday in a wooded area in the town of Sweden, 15 miles west of Rochester.

Deputies say a father and his son were hunting coyotes, which are currently in season. The state Department of Environmental Conservation says coyotes are among the handful of animals that can be hunted at any hour when they’re in season.

The wounded man, 36-year-old Robert Williams, was taken to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, where deputies say he’s in guarded condition Tuesday.

Police say they’ve charged the father, a 46-year-old resident of nearby Brockport, with assault.

http://www.therepublic.com/2017/02/21/ny-coyote-hunters-man-shot/

Regards,
hm

There are some parts of that story that seem strange.

1, they had to bring in an ATV to get there, but they shot someone that came out of the remote woods at dark. Wonder what happened and how it played out.

2, They rendered first aid. and the shooter was arrested and charged, yet they are conducting an investigation. Wonder why (if it actually happened) they charged with 2nd degree assult. Based on the fact that one person was shot? Accidents happen, but charging right out of the gate seems like a bad idea.

Just seems to me there are some gaps here, or reporting that leaves somethings to be better understood.

Wow so this guy owned the land too, and the guy who got shot was out in his field at dark. Interesting. Also says he used a light

Unfortunate all the way around.

There seems to be a lot of the story missing. I think there is some fault on both parties in this situation sadly. Hopefully he heals up and can live a normal life. Don't know how you can mistake a human for a coyote. I have hinted at nite to and hope I never have an experience like this but if I can't positively make an identity of what it is I won't shoot. That is part of the responsibility of identifying your target and knowing what's beyond it to. It unfortunate for both parties.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiWow so this guy owned the land too, and the guy who got shot was out in his field at dark. Interesting. Also says he used a light

Unfortunate all the way around.
-
Around my area . Night hunting There are, and I see and run into Tent squatters in all different wooded spots .

possibly an answer to why a guy in woods at night, pops-up to shot . ( If he was ? ) squatting down low and attempting hiding himself from view at the thicker edge of wooded area, with his Eyes shining in a light at a distance . It could happen quick .
But a lot of unanswered questions not let loose .

Sounds like the guy walked into a distress sound like dying rabbit with flashing lights, got close enough and they lit him up and then shot him.. strange situation but sad none the less...

it says

"The shot was fired at 6:24 p.m. Sunset on Monday was 5:50 p.m."

so the shot was fired 34 minutes after sunset. i and most people i know can still see fairly well 34 minutes after *official sunset*. i would think they would not be using a light yet at that time.

dont know. just dont sound right.

I have called in humans with my Foxpro on 2 different ocassions in the forests in northern Az. Fortunately it was day time and they were looking for that poor little wounded bunny rabbit. One time was a man and woman, the other time a woman and 10-12 yr old daughter. Naturally we got a good laugh after turning off the caller and listening to their conversations as they looked in vain. I have the greatest mountain lion roar on there but just couldn't be that mean. Never underestimate tree huggers.

there's a patch of state land right near here. its closed to access at night, so even with the new nighttime hunting regs, i've only hunted it during daylight hours.

i've tried calling it on several occasions - and almost without fail some local nugget head comes tromping through the woods with his kids investigating the caller sounds.

the first time it happened i waited util they were within about 60 yds of me, and then stood up and shut the caller off. surprised the heck out of him. "oh sorry man, i didnt realize anyone hunted back here"

i havent tried calling there in a couple years now. not worth the trouble.

Wow, how unfortunate of a situation, all the way around... And to make matters worse, it happened in one of the bluest states. Not sure a whole lot of good can come of this for predator hunters in NY.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerQuote:with his Eyes shining in a light at a distance

I have never seen a humans eyes shine at night.
-
They do . but I guess I been hunting with NV and IR supplements for so many years at night . I thing everyone does, forgot some don't at night and use a Flashlight .

Originally Posted By: MatlockWow, how unfortunate of a situation, all the way around... And to make matters worse, it happened in one of the bluest states. Not sure a whole lot of good can come of this for predator hunters in NY.
Couple of years ago we had two jail deputies kill two horses at night during a contest. As a rule authorities treat it for what it is and do not hesitate to arrest and prosecute. For the most part they don't target hunters but if one messes up they will face the consequences . It is our politicians that are constantly after our guns with more gun control laws.

Last edited:
I pray this man recovers fully. Like others here, it seems as though there are things missing from the story but we can't be sure. All I know is there is a surge of people getting "into" the world of coyote hunting. And what that means is picking up the cheapest spotlight at cabelas along with an electronic call and hitting the fields at night without really knowing what you're doing. If you're trigger happy at night, accidents will happen. More than not, reflections are not coyotes, and if they are they aren't going anywhere. Take your time, know what you're shooting at and hunt safe. Our state already makes it tough on hunters and gun owners, we need to help ourselves.

What was it, a couple years ago down south those two guys hunting at night spotlighted a park rangers eyes coming over a hill to investigate. They shot him and he died.

Back