Hunting with Armasight Spark

cricketkiller

I picked up an Armasight Spark to use on an upcoming hunt. My plan was to helmet mount it and use it to scan and shoot. I also got an external IR off Amazon to use with my set up. It took some doing, but I've finally got my helmet mount rigged. I'll try to add in some pics when I get a chance.

My problem, that I hope someone can help with, is the shooting while wearing the spark. I have a Vortex Sparc that I tried using but I get too much glare to see the reticle. I also tried a truglo red dot and had the same problem. I don't have a holographic sight so I have not been able to try one of them. So far, the only thing that somewhat works is the green laser on my pistol.

Before I go and buy a rail mounted laser for my rifle, do any of you have any experience with shooting using the Armasight Spark?

Get a weapon mounted IR laser. It is going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to see any sight, reticle, etc. with any helmet mounted NVD. You can't focus on it and even if you could the IR will wash it out.
I have never used the Armasight, but I do use a helmet mounted gen 3 PVS14/weapon mounted IR laser a lot. It is a good combo for close range shooting.

Last edited:

I have the Spark and also a small red laser to mount on a rifle. I purchased a laser initially and found the laser to be too large and bright, so I got another one that is just perfect for the Spark. The dot / laser is small and not too bright. I haven't used that combo yet but it looks good when I try it. The key for using the Spark for shooting is to get a laser that has a low power output. The one I have is a 1mw.

This is the one I have. You will have to copy and past into the URL since I can't seem to get a hyperlink.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Red-Laser-Beam-Dot-Sight-Scope-for-Gun-Rifle-Pistol-Picatinny-Mount-WP-/271895040504?hash=item3f4e3511f8:g:ZAIAAOSwTuJYnniY

If you want to use the Spark for scanning and leave it in place over your eye for shooting the best option is to use an IR laser sight. You can get some cheap IR laser sights on Amazon for around $150. However, if you want to use a normal dedicated night vision scope on your gun, then you need a flip up mount for your Spark so you can get it up and out of your way when you need to shoot. You would also have to turn off the IR light attached to your helmet because it would likely interfere with your NV scope. You would need another IR device for your scope as well. Kevin

Pmack, thanks. I just learned something.

As to the laser sight, I can't say exactly since I have only used it in the woods behind my house. Fifty or sixty yards is not a problem and I guess the main thing to consider is the 1x magnification of the Spark.

I too use an IR laser (CRT) mounted on the rail of my rifle and shotgun in conjuction with a helmet mounted Gen 3 PVS 14.

Thanks for all the advice. I finally got some pics of my helmet uploaded.

My rig uses a rhino mount and a j arm. I had a hard time getting everything tight so I used lots of velcro and zip ties on my first attempt....

I then decided to modify it a bit using random parts from around the house...

I also picked up this sightmark green laser to mount to my rifle. I'm able to see it fine through the armasight but I've not yet had the chance to try to shoot with it at night.

Also, the pup wanted to get in on the fun--

I'm planning on hunting hogs with my set up this weekend so I'll let you know how it all works out.

Back