Sunday night coyote

DoubleUp

We went to a new place that we've had permission to call for some months now, but just finally got around to it. I did three long howls and had a response not far away from what sounded like a big male. I saw him come out in the road a few minutes later and gave him some Babe Cottontail not too loud. He came right down the road to within about 100 yds. and gave me a nice standing shot. The 243 did the rest. Waited a few minutes and called out another one on the side where my hunting partner was watching, but he missed and probably shouldn't have taken the shot at 200 yds. He was trying hard to make the double, and stuff happens. At least we got the one. Sorry for the fuzzy video, but I didn't have my scope focused as sharp as it needed to be.

Pulsar Apex XD50A. As I mentioned above, it was slightly out of focus, but not enough to keep me from making the shot. It just didn't have the image as sharp as it could have been.

Don't I wish, and I appreciate the encouragement, but Eastern coyotes are never easy as you know. You earn every one with many hours spent trying to get it right.

Man, you have an infestation of coyotes, not to mention a great place to hunt. Your are fortunate.

I like watching the thermal videos. Pretty neat and the little dot reticle seems to work great even with low magnification.

How often do you guys kill one. I think we have killed 9, missed 2 and killed one bobcat in the last 4 or 5 weeks hunting 2 or 3 time a weeks. We have seen a few others we probably could have killed but waited for a better shot that didn't happen. Seems like we either hit a good night or blank on every stand. No in between. Just curious what the average is. I really need to get a dvr.

We used to average about 9 or so from the start of deer season through winter between the archery season, the gun seasons, and calling. I think we are at 16 since Oct. 1st this year all with all kills combined. If I count back from turkey season we have killed 18.

Given there are three of us with NV or thermal now next year should really look good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUpDon't I wish, and I appreciate the encouragement, but Eastern coyotes are never easy as you know. You earn every one with many hours spent trying to get it right.

I hear ya there! i watch these videos of out west and down south and it seems a heck of a lot easier than where im at! maybe im just doing something wrong haha we dont have hogs yet so its either coyotes or nothing for me.

Great video! Thanks for adding to my itch for a thermal scope
tongue_smilie.gif

It is an electric golf cart converted to a stealth coyotemobile. Lol, actually we call it the "Scat Mobile". It is the quietest way we have found to get in to a place. We generally don't go over a mile or so with it and usually a half mile will allow us to slip in quietly enough to not make much disturbance.

It does make the adrenaline flow when you hit that lone howl sound and have a big male answer 150 yds. away. Wish it happened every time.

Back