Thermal Horizon Blindness

igor

I currently scan with a Flir PS32. On the flat plains I usually hunt you have to keep the view below the horizon or the screen whites out pretty bad. I am just about to drop a bundle on an IR Defense MK2 but was just talking to an aquaintence and he said I would have the same issue with just about any of the mid price thermals I'm looking at. Is he correct?

That's what I would call them. Pulsars at $2900 and high end flir, armasight, at $9000. What would you call them. I just hope I don't call them junk. Just watched some video an did not see significant issue. At least not as bad as my cheapo Flir. I bet I'll be happy, too many other people likem.

Last edited:
I understand what your saying price wise. It's just hard for me to think of 6k-9k as " mid priced".
Anyway, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with any of the IR Defense stuff. I run them myself and haven't had any issues with "white out" as you describe. I used to run a Flier ps24 so I know what you're talking about.

Good luck.

Last edited:
IR mark 2 came in. Haven't given a true field test, just a back porch test. Fairly impressed so far. Horizon blindness was non existant for that setting. Was comparing it to my D760 an they both are about the same on a rabbit at 90 yards, well maybe a slight edge to the D760 there. But a huge advantage to the mark 2 at seeing an recognizing a cow at 400 yards. My IR illuminator piggybacked on the D760 could probably be a little better and help with the long range on the D760. All in all the gun and thermal optic mounted on a tripod may give me a little more advantage than before. Not sure where my flir ps 32 is going to fit in now but I figure I may still be scanning with the flir. Makes me think I should have spent the money on a better scanner. BUT that reminds me, the field of view on the IR Mark 2 is fabulous compared to the D760.

I noticed the horizon blindness more so when the air temp was really really cold compared to Ground temp. Forgive me for not remembering the term, but ive read that most of the mid to lower priced thermals dont have the proper technology to over come this. I read that the cause is, the thermal adjust the view according to the stronger signatures and adjust things according to that. That makes sense to me, but like ur case, its annoying to me also. Im noticing some of the newer models coming out are trying hard to correct this , i was also told by Pulsar that some of that can be caused by the differences of an Oled screen verses LCD.

Last edited:
Horizon blindness is pretty much a non issue with the Mark2 so far. I am pretty happy with this unit. Got blood on it first time out. Maybe Sledge is right, this must not be a mid price unit.

Last edited:
You won't have nearly any washout issues on the MK lineup.
Flir improved a bit on the later thermals and newer firmware,
30 degrees, 98% humidity and high dew point will nearly disable a ps32.
The BAE core will cut through it like a hot knife through butter.

I've had the mk2 and mk3 out many many nights and have never had an environmental issue render the optic less than stellar. That was not my experience with the Flir lineup.

Last edited:
Back