Interesting night

1trkyhntr

We pulled in to a field tonight with plans to hunt across the road. Before we even got out of the jeep we heard a pack howling out in front of us. I did not have permission to hunt that farm, but I do know the owner. So I drove to his house and got permission.
We set up and I started with a female howl and they answered but they sounded a lot farther away. I switched to pup screams and no response. I kind of lost faith and switched to a prey distress just in case maybe a fox would show up. Nothing. I muted the call and started to get up and then I saw eyes, two sets, just coming over the knoll. My buddy was on the rifle with the scope and he confirmed that there were two coyotes at about 100 yds. He pulled the trigger. I was temporarily blinded and could not see. He was pretty confident of the shot but the coyote was not laying dead in the field. Then a coyote started barking. And barking, and barking. I figured that the other coyote was hit so we started looking. We found blood and followed the trail for maybe 150 yds in the woods, the other coyote was barking the whole time. I made the call to go back tomorrow in the daylight and try to find it. I'm pretty sure, based on the amount of blood, that the coyote is dead but after a recent experience of being almost lost in the woods I am erring on the side of caution. Maybe we'll find it in the morning.

That coyote lived a touch longer because you weren't the one shooting, hopefully just a touch and daylight will help with the search.

We trailed blood this afternoon for about 250-300 yds and can not find him.
The interesting part part about last night was how the mate stayed close and barked the whole time we were in the woods looking. At times it was really close. It was still barking when we left, about 1 hour after we shot.
I had the same thing happen once before but that time the dead coyote was laying out in the field.

Back