Best FACTORY .204 round for coyotes

Page

Have decided my next rifle is going to be a T/C Venture in .204. It has a 1:10 twist. No concern of pelt damage. What have you guys had the best luck with for a factory round. Was thinking HSM because of the Berger bullets but have concerns with the availability.
Thanks for the input.

I had great luck shooting hsm out of my dads Ruger #1 in 204 yes it is a single shot and on yotes that is all that was ever needed they went down like lightning!

Hornadys did well also but the hsm was a little cheaper and I did have a problem with the light vmax splashing on a bone hit and getting no penetration hit one in the nose head on facing me at around 125yds blew up his nose but didn't kill him don't ask me how did recover him but took a good half a mile tracking and a longgggg shot to put him down thankfully the 204 was accurate as [beeep] and up to the 400ish follow up shot once I somewhat caught up to him lol

I'm not sure if they still manufacture them, but HSM used to produce some pretty decent 40gr HPs...I haven't bought any factory rounds since about 2006, but still have a couple of boxes of them in my stash...If they are not available commercially, you might score some a one of the local gun shows...Shot placement on a Coyote is in the somewhat critical category...

If you mentally draw a line down the neck and up the front leg, where the two lines intersect, you will be right in the heart/lung area and missing that shoulder bone with a ballistic tip..

A vote for Hornady 45 SP.

I have long-abandoned the 204, but shot several thousand rounds of different ammo, and these did well.

I second the Hornaday 45 SP. If you can find some. I also really like the Remington 40 gr. accu tip, really puts them down and usually no exit or big entry either.

I've bought quite a few rifles and had a few custom builds. I've always been a stickler for accuracy. I want each gun to shoot to its best ability. I could never tell you what bullet is best for your particular barrel. Every rifle I've ever bought, every barrel I've ever installed had its own particular idiosyncrasies. Buy two rifles of the same make and model and you'll likely find each one likes a different load. If you're going to buy a .204 (and I love them, presently own 3) there is simply no way to know before hand which factory load to buy. Just because other guys like so and so doesn't mean it will be best for your particular rifle. Do yourself and your prey a favor and buy your rifle and pick up several different manufacturers loads. Depending on availability and budget I would not consider less than 5 different brands/loads. If your budget allows, the more variety the better. You will be surprised by range time how differently your particular barrel reacts with a variety. Some will produce terrible results, some so so and you will find one, maybe two that will consistently produce tight groups. After shooting a few groups with each brand make notes on the box as to what the performance was. I realize this sounds like a lot of work but the end result will give you confidence that your rifle is performing at it's best possible accuracy. Factory ammo will never give you the optimum performance but you can still get your rifle to perform great out to 300+ yards. If you could care less about accuracy forget what you just read and listen to anybody's advice.

Thank you for all of the replies.
AZ, I couldn't agree more with your advice. Just looking to see what folkes have had the best results with for clean kills on coyotes. I'm concerned with splash but know what placement is key. Basically plan to shoot factory loads and save the brass and then work up a few different loads. Most shots will typically be in the 100 yd range. If I anticipate needing to the longer shots I will lug out the Dtech .243 WSSM!
Thanks again to all

Originally Posted By: azmastablastaI've bought quite a few rifles and had a few custom builds. I've always been a stickler for accuracy. I want each gun to shoot to its best ability. I could never tell you what bullet is best for your particular barrel. Every rifle I've ever bought, every barrel I've ever installed had its own particular idiosyncrasies. Buy two rifles of the same make and model and you'll likely find each one likes a different load. If you're going to buy a .204 (and I love them, presently own 3) there is simply no way to know before hand which factory load to buy. Just because other guys like so and so doesn't mean it will be best for your particular rifle. Do yourself and your prey a favor and buy your rifle and pick up several different manufacturers loads. Depending on availability and budget I would not consider less than 5 different brands/loads. If your budget allows, the more variety the better. You will be surprised by range time how differently your particular barrel reacts with a variety. Some will produce terrible results, some so so and you will find one, maybe two that will consistently produce tight groups. After shooting a few groups with each brand make notes on the box as to what the performance was. I realize this sounds like a lot of work but the end result will give you confidence that your rifle is performing at it's best possible accuracy. Factory ammo will never give you the optimum performance but you can still get your rifle to perform great out to 300+ yards. If you could care less about accuracy forget what you just read and listen to anybody's advice.

the above advise is about as good of an answer as you can get IMHO.

buddy of mine just got his first AR - and has been bugging me about what this and that factory ammo will be good for him to buy - i told him almost the same thing. buy an assortment of boxes and then go shoot it. you'll know real quick which one you gun likes and doesnt like.

its a hard pill to swallow, but its also the reason i'm usually reluctant to share pet load info on my reloads too. you still gotta do a ladder and go shoot your gun for accuracy.

If you have no concern of pelt damage Id shoot a 39 gr SBK or a 40 Vmax if you gun will group it. Personally I shoot a 35 gr Berger due it leaving next to no pelt damage.

Cheers!!

Anyone have any experience with the Remington 40 gr. ACCUTIP-V? Will definitely be trying several varieties but hope to get the heavier loads to groups well.

Thanks for the nod Plant. Thankfully sounds like Page understands that basic rule. Good luck with your search Page. Nothing irritates me more, well maybe a few other things too, than guys talking about their rifle always shoots nuts on, long as I do my part. Or c'mon man it good, it shoots minute of coyote or deer etc. We're very fortunate here in that we have a state of the art rifle range run by G&F. Great tables, 50 + lanes, spot on range masters etc. 100 yd, 200 yd even 1000 yds. I spend a good deal of time there and have for years. You can bet your [beeep] that the last week before deer season opens the place is packed with goobers who believe that bore sighting that Cabelas did is all they need. Sometimes I or a buddy will speak up after their loaded rifle has swung past us or someone else. A year or so ago one goober killed a guy who was down checking his targets as were others, the firing line was closed. Newbie didn't get it and killed the guy in the next lane. Ignorance abounds. I can't count the times my target is hit by the guy in the next lane.

But enough about goobers. If you aren't completely comfortable with MOA, wind drift, bullet weight vs twist rate, get to your local range if you're fortunate to have one and find the oldest of the old farts who's got all the toys and politely ask for help. I'm bettin he'll be only too glad to help. Always remember what works for one guy will not always work for you regardless of splash or pelt damage. Gotta get a few dogs under your belt then decide. BTW a .204 as much as I love them seems to have, in my experience, more splash problems than I like. Shot placement rules the day.

I wholeheartedly agree with AZ. I currently own three 204's. I love them for chasing coyotes and it is my go-to caliber for predators. But each one shoots different makes and grains of bullets differently. One loves the 39 gr. Blitzking, another the 40 gr. Hornady. I got my best accuracy out of one with 26 gr, non-lead hollow points. What works for one hunter with a certain brand of rifle, will probably not work for another with the same brand of rifle.

After you get the rifle, run a few makes and grains through it and see what she likes.

Back