Contest winning coyote

swampwalker

Won a big contest here in New York last week with this coyote. He weighed 49.2 pounds. A buddy and I have been entering this contest for the last ten years and it finally happened.

Ended a 45 minute long set with lightning jack and was packing up. I had my rifle on my lap and had just muted the call when I spotted a coyote coming in fast from straight out. At about 60yds The coyote slowed to a stop directly in line with me and the caller. Easy shot! If I still didn't have my rifle sitting on my lap! I ended up in a stand off for a couple minutes with the coyote posted up, looking right at me..Eventually the coyote began to circle downwind and gave me an opening to raise the gun and find it in the scope. Just as I was about to squeeze the shot off a bigger coyote came in from the right gave a nice 40 yd shot.. heavy dog of the contest $2,200 plus my friend got another coyote that evening. $2,300 coyote hunting weekend!

2gsr0gj.jpg

Last edited:
Niceeee, solid payoff too. What new gun are you buying? HA

I've had a few come in that late into the stand, like you said it's about time to pack up. Nice job staying aware.

thumbup1.gif

Thanks. It's a great payout, but stiff competition. They generally have between 600-1000 hunters. I'd much rather have a tournament like the BATM that you do out west, but to far away for me. This one has trappers and houndsman to compete with.

Just took a look and that's a pretty sweet contest covering a big area. The fact guys can run dogs really does make it tough, especially when it's a 3 day contest.

Congrats! Nice coyote. I know what you are saying about contest hunts. I enter one here (mosquito Creek hunt) average 4000+ callers, houndsmen, drivers, etc. No trapping though and if you are in the top 3 get ready to take a polygraph. I have been lucky enough to take some coyotes during this hunt but never the heaviest. They split the pot 50/50. 50% to top three weights and the other 50% gets decided among coyotes killed. Feels good to make the list would feel awesome to be the champ! Congratulations!!!

Back