South Texas Again

TommyP

Down chasing varmints again. Called in a bobcat this AM. He was 7 ft away when I saw it. Needless to say, I couldn't get on it. An hour later at another spot, I called in a grey fox but a coyote ran up, grabbed it, they both rolled, came up and ran off in different directions. Going back out to hunt after dark. It has warmed up down here. Hopefully pics when I get back. Got a new phone that lets me post but have to upload to photobucket later.

Four stands, three coyotes, two shot. Foggy early saw no action 2nd stand shot one at 75yds. Went to town for breakfast. Went to other ranch, shot one trying to get downwind of the caller. Last stand before coming in had a coyote come in fast, saw the caller and was gone just as fast. Heading to another ranch this evening where a mountain lion killed a colt a while back. Farther south.

Sounds like you're having a ball, Tommy. What general area are you hunting. S. TX covers a LOT of country.
wink.gif
lol.gif

(Some regard San Antonio as S. Tx. but to me it is more central Tx.)

Regards,
hm

Brush country, about half way between SA and Corpus. George West area. Sitting waiting for some hogs to come in to a wheat field west of Mathis. Then going to call some more before dark. I phones are cool!

Shot another hog after dark. It is now in my cooler. About 100lbs so perfect for eating. Had a coyote pop out earlier but it headed straight for a cow carcass in the pasture for an easy meal instead of working for a rabbit. More fun to call them than shoot them over bait. Still.......

Last edited:

I have read several reports that coyotes put a hurtin' on fox. Apparently there is some credibility to that.

Sounds like an enjoyable trip.

Called in a double about an hour ago. Thought it was a single until I shot the first coyote. Then a second one popped out and ran as I put an anchor shot in to the first one. I've been hitting coyotes all week but they cartwheel or spin, then crawl off and die somewhere. Hate waste two rounds on a coyote but at least I can post a pic when I get back.

Called in a grey fox tonight but it saw me first. Nuf said. Then a big bobcat came in and decided to stay.

Last edited:
Great time indeed. All ends in the morning as I make my way home. Hunting hogs until after dark, might get one last call in the AM before leaving.

Here's the pictures. Two of the many coyotes....they were all males. The second picture was a coyote that had been feeding on a cow carcass. That explains his girth.

Last edited:
Two of the many bobcats called in. These decided to come home with me.They were both males, 24lb and 27lb.

Last edited:
Back