First Milestone Achieved

TheBig1

I took my 15 y/o son and 8 y/o daught er out this morning for a set at a mountainous cutoff that I'd been dying to hunt.

The two orange points at the bottom is our setup. I sat on the left covering the left side of the cutoff as well as the cutoff itself. My son sat on the right, approximately 20 yards away, covering downwind and the wood line. The other point in the middle is where I set up the Fusion.

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstrickland4/media/Screenshot_2017-02-18-18-10-09_zpsjmz6d6o3.png.html]
Screenshot_2017-02-18-18-10-09_zpsjmz6d6o3.png

I began with a few minutes of Titmouse distress. After a few minutes of silence we went with Lucky Bird. After that I started with the coyote calls. Coyote howls/barks, silence, Lone Howl, silence, Tony Tebe Coyotes Mating, and finished it all off with Pups In Distress 3.

It was during the silence period after pup distress that my son said two coyotes popped theirheads up over the hill in the wood line. Of course I didn't get to see what I'd called in. The red point is approximately where they showed themselves. My boy said that they popped their heads up and we're looking around. He said that as they were doing that he began to raise his gun to shoot and they busted him. He said that they didn't take off, they just trotted away.

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstrickland4/media/Screenshot_2017-02-18-18-10-55_zpssagkftk2.png.html]
Screenshot_2017-02-18-18-10-55_zpssagkftk2.png

Well at least I was able to get two called in although I wasn't able to see them. I guess that the next step is to either be able to see them for myself or even be able to see them but unable to shoot.

It'd be nice if we could just skip those milestones and get right to the killin' stage.

Last edited:
Walk before running, the kills will come. At least your son got to see something and was very close to getting a shot.

He was Weekender. I guess when they stuck their heads up to look instead of waiting he immediately began to raise his gun. It's a good lesson to learn. Now next time hopefully he'll either wheel on them with furry or wait for the perfect opportunity.

Originally Posted By: foxhoundCongrats on the successful call in. Wish I could've seen the look on the young mans face! Lol

LOL Me too Ray. That's right, this would've been the weekend that you would've come over. Let's hope that when you are able to make it that it'll be the weekend we actually score.

Back