PORCUPINE PROBLEM

Spike

hi, I have a porcupine that comes in the night and is really damaging my pine trees that were planted twenty five years ago from a little sprout. I have metal around the tree trunks, but some how the porky gets over the metal. I have a have a heart trap with salt as a lure that does not catch the porky, three raccoons but not the porky. I would appreciate any information that would help me get this varmint. thanks spike

They can't run out of sight in a week. Catch him in a bucket and relocate him.

I caught dozens of them when a buyer was giving $45 a head for them to use in exhibits.

He probably lives there.... find him, poke him down with a long stick of PVC, and give him a ride.

I don't shoot them either. Cute little faces, and they don't go looking for trouble.

Most likely you can find it up in a tree in the day time probably somewhere close. It'll look like a hawk nest but will shine in the sun which is a dead giveaway that it's a porcupine. They look yellow in the sun. After that it's up to you what you do. A shotgun would get it down pretty quick though.

KA_BOOM!

They eat the bark off of trees, soon you will have no "Live" trees.

Ranchers hate them because of their tree destruction and calves will walk up to them and get a face full of Quills.

We don't have them here but might try fruit I have good luck here on ground hogs and a live trap. Funny thing is nothing ever come out of my live trap alive.
MB

Porcupines were protected in certain areas in our history because they are one of the few mammals that could be easily killed by a man stranded in the wildernesses with nothing but a rock or club. If you want to kill it shine it at night. Otherwise try some fresh tree cuttings in the trap.

Last edited:
a few years ago, here at my place of work, we were having problems with them damaging the trees, so we called in a ADC man and he trapped two, and removed them.
I paid attention to what he used and glad I did because in the last couple of weeks, we started noticing more damaged trees so instead of calling the ADC, we bought a live trap and I used the same bait that the ADC used, and in the last two weeks we have caught two of the destructive suckers.
The bait, fresh cut apples covered in table salt.

songdog, thanks for the heads up on the bait, that is what I was hopping to find when I posted the problem. I used have a heart trap only because we have two cats that roam around out side in the day time. I am not a tree hugger and the raccoons I caught were released unharmed, not the skunk and If I ever catch the porky it will be curtains. thanks for your help. spike

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvNot sure if their protected in your area, but a quick shot with a gauge will do it! Plus, there great tasting! Regards, Drop

They are on the "predator list" in Wyoming.

24/7, 365.

Last edited:
Went for a stroll today threw the bush, came across a den, fox? coyote? But Than I picked up a porcupine quill on the dirt mound infront. Do porcupines use dens? Could you put one on a strecher board?

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerMost likely you can find it up in a tree in the day time probably somewhere close. It'll look like a hawk nest but will shine in the sun which is a dead giveaway that it's a porcupine. They look yellow in the sun. After that it's up to you what you do. A shotgun would get it down pretty quick though.

Yep, this^^^^

Especially on colder days with sun, trying to stay warm... the stink almost as bad as a badger...

I would not want to skin one and try to put it on a stretcher board.

Originally Posted By: Kiiyote30Went for a stroll today threw the bush, came across a den, fox? coyote? But Than I picked up a porcupine quill on the dirt mound infront. Do porcupines use dens? Could you put one on a strecher board?

My Spud dog has located several in ground holes while we were walking to stands. I have killed several out of trees.
Several ranches I call on tell me to shoot coyotes, and don't give porcupines and badgers a pass either.

Porcupines sometimes swipe the muzzles of calves, colts, cows, horses and ranch dogs.
Badgers dig at corner posts of fences and for some reason, huge holes in one of the tracks on a two track road. Thousands of acres to dig in for ground squirrels and they pick the road...
Hit one of the holes while driving and you'll know why ranchers hate them. Jars your teeth and your truck.

Last edited:
started to snow at 10:pm last night and I had the trap baited with the apple and salt. I checked out the window through the night to see if there was a porky, no luck. the porky has shown up after a snow, so maybe tonight I'll get a visitor. The damage he has done to the pine trees is going to require me to spray paint the bare spots. I have metal rapped around the tree trunks at least 3' high,how he gets over the metal is a mystery.

Originally Posted By: SpikeI have metal rapped around the tree trunks at least 3' high,how he gets over the metal is a mystery.

Levitation...

Asta la vista porky, this morning during a snow storm I saw porky near the top of my 20' pine tree. the 223 ended the porky's perch on the top of the tree. when the weather permits I have lots of spray painting to cover up the damage. spike

Originally Posted By: moonshine44Originally Posted By: SpikeI have metal rapped around the tree trunks at least 3' high,how he gets over the metal is a mystery.

Levitation...

"Skinwalker" ? Ahaha

Could be creative instead of killing it. Not that im opposed to killing porcupines. I work on tugboats, and the crew off one of the tugs caught a live porcupine. They went alongside another one of our boats when everybody was working the barge and snuck the porky on and released it in the captains head. Now thats class.

Back