Foxpro jackrabbit distress, how many thousands?

DAA

Administrator
Staff member
I don't watch hunting shows. But, just turned on the TV and it was on a coyote hunting show. Really got my attention, because they were playing a jackrabbit sound on their FoxPro that I recorded somewhere around 17 years ago, best as I can recall.

It's been my go to sound all that time since. For quite a few years, I've been using a "mix tape" of jackrabbit sounds I call Greatest Hits, which features about half a dozen different jacks. But the back bone of Greatest Hits is the rabbit I just heard when I turned on the TV.

Kind of weird to me, actually... Turning on the TV and hearing that sound. I mean, I've heard it countless times before. But I guess I tend to think of it as "mine". And it's the sound of me coyote hunting. Startled me, having it come out of my TV
laugh.gif

But, hearing it on TV, it just got me to thinking. That sound isn't mine, I gave it to Foxpro more than 15 years ago. It's been out there being used by who knows how many guys for all that time. It's not their most popular jackrabbit sound, pretty sure Lighting Jack is and I didn't record that. But, then again, at the time I gave it to them, in my opinion it was the first really good sound they had and I know that up until Lightning Jack, it was their most popular, most used sound. And, obviously, some guys still use it. I actually don't even know for sure what Foxpro calls it, but I think it is simply "Jackrabbit Distress". I recorded many of their other jackrabbit sounds too, but I have long, long since forgot the names they use for them.

Anyway... I know that I have, conservatively, no hint of exaggeration, called in more than one thousand coyotes with that sound my own self. I'm wondering how many tens of thousand, or hundreds of thousands of coyotes that one rabbit has called in???

Kind of mind blowing, for me, to sit and think about that...

Certainly could not have imagined it at the time of the recording. I mean, I knew it was a good sound (a pair came in to the live rabbit while it was being recorded!), but just no way I could have begun to imagine how many different guys would use it, for how long, and how many coyotes it would call in.

Just rambling I guess. But it kinda weirded me out turning on the TV to that! And I really do wonder, just how many coyotes HAS that old sound fooled?

- DAA

Wow that's awesome. Your sound has called in more than just a few for me. Called in a bobcat and a coyote with it on the same stand last year. The cat got to leave. The coyote didn't.

Definitely my most use sound. I've always called it Utah jack just because I knew where it came from. But I do believe it is listed as jackrabbit distress. I love the way the volume gets loud, then softer, then louder again. A lot of realism without having to use the remote to manipulate the sound.
I'd love to get a copy of your greatest hits.....but we both know that ain't happening. Haha.
But thanks for your contribution to the sound library.

Originally Posted By: crapshootBut thanks for your contribution to the sound library.

a thank you from me too. the sound simply named jr distress is a favorite of mine.
thumbup.gif

I use Jackrabbit Distress quite often.

It is a very loud sound so I switch to it and go to full volume for a minute or two 7 to 9 minutes into the stand.

Many times I have had coyotes show up while I am playing Jackrabbit Distress or within 1 to 4 minutes after playing it at full volume.

It is a great sound!

Good job Dave!

Pretty cool to know that you created that sound. Have not used it myself to call in anything, but I sure will be giving it a try eventually. Thanks!

Last night it called in number XXXXXXXX or how ever many it is. We didn't get to kill him but he came none the less.

Dave, In my opinion your jack rabbit is a better sound than lightning jack to my ears and i play it 10-1 over lightning. I know its my goto sound and if you had a dollar for every coyote called in with it you'd be a rich man...

I have always wondered how one gets the animal to make the distress noise to record it. Hold a rabbit down a squeeze the crap out if it to make it squeal?

No jackrabbits within hundreds of miles of where I am, but I have taken several over the years with it. I especially like it when it is windy as it is louder than a lot of the other foxpro sounds.

I have taken a few bobcats with it too, including this one on a windy day on my old 416.

BigTom3-2-07_zpsbarkmjzb.jpg

YH, that reminds me... I was wondering about coyotes, specifically. But I've called in quite a few bobcat, several lion, even a handful of badgers and a few daytime red fox with that sound too.

- DAA

I have called quite a few coyote with that jack rabbit myself. Haven't used it in a very long time though. Now when I am using a jack rabbit sound it is one I put on there. I just named it Nevada Jack. Not because it is actually a Nevada jackrabbit but because it works so well when we are calling in Nevada. It works equally well in Utah.lol

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I have always wondered how one gets the animal to make the distress noise to record it. Hold a rabbit down a squeeze the crap out if it to make it squeal?

I've wondered the same, but figured it was probably some unwritten rule or like rule #1: we don't talk about fight club.

The late Gerry Blair could grab the ears of a jackrabbit and make it squall. It would shut up and he would rub its head. Don't know how he trained it like that, but he did have a way with critters (LOL).

Whatever the number is, you can add at least another 150, maybe 200 coyotes to it and probably 6-8 bobcats. Dad kept a log of his calling, complete with sounds he used. And he used that sound a bunch. I would have to look back to see what the real numbers were, but I imagine I am very conservative with that estimate. I have killed more than a few with it myself.

Back