Hunting in the rain...

If it's raining or snowing heavily, stay home. Animals don't like to be out in nasty weather either.

Once it lets up though, get out there, especially if its been raining or snowing most of the day/night. The animals will be on the move looking for food.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.If it's raining or snowing heavily, stay home. Animals don't like to be out in nasty weather either.

Once it lets up though, get out there, especially if its been raining or snowing most of the day/night. The animals will be on the move looking for food.

What Hornet said
MB

Originally Posted By: OregonMikeHave a trip planned, might have a little rain or snow. Anything to help the odds????Thanks all...

Ummm, lots of prayer or a waterproof parka?
smile.gif

There are days that all it will be out here is light misty weather and we have called & shot coyotes in that. When its real rain forget it and we stay home.
Light snowing the same way.

I've killed them in the rain and blinding 10 deg snowstorm.
Called and killed one this morning in the rain at 123 yds from the truck. My left pant leg was soaked from having the window down.
Rain on our side of the state is different than the other side.
We generally get 8-12" per year. the other side can be 50,60, or 140" per year.

Originally Posted By: OregonMikeOK, so hunt is in the High Desert of Central Oregon!!!! So forecast is for a spot shower of snow or rain on Sat, our main hunting day. Mainly in the afternoon.

We have reservations for the motel and the best meal in Oregon for Friday night and Sat night. Hoping for the best.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=aaplw&p=cowboy+dinner+tree+restaurant

26-30 OZ steak, or a whole chicken....

-
You going up by silver lake, Fort Rock area. ? . I used to drive over there shoot sage rats around the alfalfa fields and chucks for several years . The weather can turn on a dime there real fast, from bad to good or visa-versa in a heart beat .
Dress Warm and wind stop ...LOL

Checking the weather, .04" of precip, and .03" of that as snow. Should be ok. And ya, Stoping tonight for Dinner in Silver Lake. I ate a piece of toast for breakfast, and will not eat again until 7:30 tonight!!!!

One of my better days calling was a rainy day. This particular day was a contest hunt in late January so we were hunting no matter what the weather was like. We called in 9 coyotes for the day which I consider very good for late January. I used my shotgun on most stands, by the end of the day it was difficult to cycle the action due to rust!! My biggest fear when "mud" hunting is getting the truck stuck which almost happened.

Happened last weekend. First stand, wind and rain, nothing. Second stand, steady rain, coyote showed up. Wind on third stand, nothing. It seems that they are bothered a bit more by wind than by rain.

One thing I've learned in all my years of hunting is weather is just another obstacle to overcome. Day to day weather changes are a part of life in the wild for them critters, they still need to eat, find water and right now find a mate. Rain, snow, and wind doesn't shut that off for long. Now man in the wild is a different story. If you can overcome the thought that those critters sit it out in bad weather and go prepared, it will be business as usual as long as you can get out there and do your part. If I waited for days without wind to hunt here in Newer Mexico I would miss out on a lot of hunting and fishing.

OK, so first, friday dinner was great!!! So up at dawn, out into the desert. Leaving the truck we hear the serenades !!!! LOTS of them. First few sets we can here no less than 4 groups of yotes. Saw 1 at about 600 yards for about 3 sec.

Spat a little rain a few times... nothing bad. Didn't get anything else.

Second day, about an inch of snow. that disappeared by 10, we were out late. Called a few sets before heading home, threw everything at them, no joy!

But took my Buddy's son (15) out for the first time as he had a new gun. His first "guys weekend retreat" and he had a blast. We did smack a few jacks on the way back to the truck. So he got a kill.

Anyway, a bad day is hunting is better than a good day of honey-do's!!!!

Had a blast.

Originally Posted By: OregonMike
Anyway, a bad day is hunting is better than a good day of honey-do's!!!!

Amen to that! No bad days hunting! Just some are better than others, right!

Back