.22 60 grain Ballistic Tip for antelope

swet158

Anybody have any on the ground Intel on the Nosler .22 60 BT for antelope? Looking at using them in my .22-250 for daughter to hunt.

Last edited:
They are a tough bullet, and I think you will be very happy with them. My last antelope were shot with 55g Winchesters out of a 223 at a MV of 3150, so your 60g NOsler out of a 22/250 will be awesome. The last large buck was 470 yards, he dropped like an anvil...223 out of a Rem 788.

^^^^^^+1 55gr NBT is my go to coyote bullet in AR at 3100. A few years ago, while hunting coyotes, was also tasked w/culling whitetail does and feral hogs. Shot several 90-100# does w/the 55's plus a number of feral hogs (about same weight) and all but two hogs were DRT. Those two hogs were frontal shots between the eyes; saw the 2nd one splash at exact POA. Knocked the boar to his knees but he got up and was not recovered. I'm sure the bullet splashed and never entered brain cavity.

You should be fine w/the 60NBT's.

Regards,
hm

NOPE I will never recommend it.
I tried them in my 22/250 for antelope , they shoot extremely well.
I was way underwhelmed with there killing/knock down power. I shot a very nice buck at about 120 yards, made a good DBL lung shot on it running.
LATER we found it went in and through both lungs it did not hit a rib, slipped between them.
BLOOD front the front shoulders back coming out on both sides.
Had to chase it down for a mile Finally laid down and I got a head shot.
JUST saying ...

I know we have 'varmint' & 'big game' type ballistic tips, but I'd be hesitant with a 22 cal bullet unless I tested it some. The easier choice would be a 22 cal partition, as long as they shoot O.K..

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeGood dbl lung ,chase it a mile ???

Musta had the old iron lung buck.
thumbdown.gif

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeGood dbl lung ,chase it a mile ???

Musta had the old iron lung buck.
thumbdown.gif

Wearing a bullet proof vest. I shot a couple of coyotes a few weeks back using the thinner 60g hornady vmaxs loaded at 2850 fps. One at 125 and the other at a 150 yards. Both stationary broadside shots. Both bullets went completely through and put a 50 cent sized outsole...both DRT. I guarantee you if I had the same placent and distance on a deer it wouldn't have gone far or moved at all. Most hunters don't wait for the shot. Proper bullet placement is the key. I found a deer laying on my property right after season. It was gut shot way far back. Same story my neighbor called me and asked if I saw a doe that they "aimed" for the lungs as it was running past them. It hit the ground after the shot and ran onto my property. By the time I found the coyote population already vandalized it.

Last edited:
22lr in the lungs will kill ok at 40yards. 270win in the guts, not so good. Once again the old shot placement vs. Ig bullet debate.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicks22lr in the lungs will kill ok at 40yards. 270win in the guts, not so good. Once again the old shot placement vs. Ig bullet debate.

Kind of hard not to have the bullet debate when placement was spot on, unless you want to argue if we should aim for ribs of the space in-between. He threw it both lungs and didn't expand like intended.

Back