Called 4, mised 3, killed 2 or suicede by coyote caller

AWS

Retired PM Staff
First day out, made three stands all on BLM land.

Stand one, called one in, it stopped about 150 yards but looked like it might come all the way in, a wind shift sent my scent right to him, should have taken the shot.

Stand two, set up and started to call over an large opening in the manzinita humps. After the last stand I rushed the shot and missed, the coyote ran out about 150 yards and stopped, turned and started coming back to the caller, totally shocked at his antics I fumbled to reload the rifle barrel on the combo gun and preceded to miss again on a trotting shot. Off he goes out to the brush and stops and decides that the caller is still sending out "come eat me" sound and he decides to try one more time and after another hurried reload I settled down and waited for him to stop and drilled him perfectly at 170 yards. Two shots with a un-surpresssed 22 Savage Highpower kicking up dirt around him and he still can't resist the call. He wasn't a pup either in fact one of the largest males I've killed here.

Stand tree, 2 min into the stand one catches me off guard coming right from my truck and spooks when I turned to shoot and shot behind. So soon into the stand I decided to keep calling and at 11 min. another came in and I rolled it with the shotgun. it's fur was pretty ragged so left it out on the desert.

looking forward to the rest of the month. all three stands were on public land wthin a mile and a half of each other. A local rancher stopped to ask what I was hunting saw the dead coyote on the carrier and gave me permission to hunt all his deeded lands also.

All in all a fun morning willing coyotes up the wazzoo and one nice large male on the boards by noon.

Sorry no pics, as my little travel computer won't load pictures.

Last edited:
The best part is the new private ground to hunt..that was suicidal coyote to get shot at that many times and still try and come back to the call..

Yep that one wasn't very bright. Sounds like he may never have run across a hunter before, you may have a gold mine there. And an invite from a rancher? Obviously he's got more than he can handle. A very successful day in my book.

Yes, I want a dumb one too. All the ones around here seem too smart for me. I got schooled this past weekend by one. Congrats on the success, good read.

Back