Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator

I just looked at my can of Wipeout. It's old, last can of a case I bought a long time ago. But it says "contains no ammonia" on the front. Not sure if I had ever read the back before. Probably did, but long ago forgot. Anyway... On the back it says it's effective for 24 to 48 hours and will cause no harm when left in the bore that long.

Course, I think tobacco companies used to say the same thing about smoke in your lungs, so... But, I've been leaving it in for long periods, for I'm not sure how long but has to be 15 years now. No issues I've ever become aware of.

Think I mentioned earlier, when it comes to hard carbon, I still resort to JB though. That stuff needs some mechanical action to break loose. Have never found any chemical that will remove it. But, even in my very over bore hotrods, I've found regular soaking with Wipeout, I rarely see that kind of hard fouling that requires brushing and or JB. Not never, but rarely.

- DAA

Round two on three different rifles using Wipe out Accelerator and Foam.

1. Custom Model 7 with ss bbl in 6.5 creed, ~40 rounds fired. 5 patches of accelerator and then foam, soaked over night. No signs of copper, and trace amounts of powder fouling, not too bad.

2. Custom Model 70 Winchester with CM Shilen barrel, 26" in 308 Win. Same thing as #1, about 40 rounds fired, trace amounts of powder fouling left after the nights soaking.

3. German Mauser customized, 8mm Mauser, 30 shots fired, same thing as #1 and #2.

Conclusion so far, this stuff is not cutting powder fouling that is cooked on down to bare metal.

Poster, 243kimber suggested using the accelerator and patch out on a brush first, this seems like the way to go to get the powder fouling out.

I was hoping to get lazy and just use patches and soaking, that is a pipe dream.

Seems from what I have gathered here, there's nothing that is going to replace elbow grease if you want a clean barrel. No magic potions, no super duper cleaning solution. They all work "pretty good" but you still need to use the brush!!

If you are concerned about the abrasiveness of JB Paste (something I use once in awhile), then find something that a lot of precision benchrest shooters use called OSSO...A little less aggressive but pretty effective...I use it routinely on barrels with moderate debris very successfully....

Bill, I am not scared of the JB one bit, use it all the time on stubborn barrels. I was just evaluating the Wipe Out foam and accelerator with just patches. Next evaluation will be brushing with the foam in the bbl. My first can is just about empty. No doubt that the Patch Out will be more economical to use.

More aggressive methods are needed for powder fouling, but the copper is all gone out of all the barrels I have used it on.

Will dirty up a few more barrels this week, and get back and report my findings of soaking after brushing.

For the real bad ones (powder and carbon) i use rem40x. It is very abbrasive so i only use it on the worse barrels. I just had a friend bring me a used Savage Axis he had just bought. And it was one of the worse i have ever seen. After i finally got all the copper out it took me awhile to clean out all the carbon and powder baked in it. I would be still cleaning it if it wasnt for the rem 40x. I have read where people have lapped out there barrels by using this on a patched brush to often.

Keith, have you tried the Rem 40X cleaner? I bought a bottle a while back and have only used it a couple of time. Seems to work pretty good too. I don't have access to a bore scope so I can't say 100% how good it works but it seems to work pretty good just from looking at patchs.

Keith, where is the powder fouling at in the barrel after cleaning with the wipe out. Curious since I do not have a bore scope and at some point this spring I will clean the new Lilja barrel on my 17 rem. Mike.

Spotstalk, the powder fouling is all up the barrel, but not in huge amounts.

Round 3, is a custom Shilen 29" 308 Winchester.

I shot the barrel 50 rounds, 44-45g of 4320,Benchmark, and 8208, some hot loads in there, none less than 2850 with a 155 Sierra Palma. Accuracy was astounding.

Pushed 5 patches of Accelerator then foamed with Wipe Out. I let it sit overnight.

Result, powder fouling still in the barrel, tad bit of copper. So, I repeated but brushed with a bronze bristle brush for 10 strokes. The next day, all fouling was gone.

Psyco, the Rem Clean is a very, very aggressive cleaner. I have not used the 40x cleaner. The Rem clean is much more aggressive than Isso on a bronze bristle brush, which is more aggressive than JB on a brush.

Conclusion: if you use wipe out and do not brush, you may be leaving fouling in the barrel with just one application or two with over night soakings on each. Brushing with the wipe out is required when 50 or so rounds have been fired in my test barrels ...yours maybe different. I do belive that there is a difference in how various powders burn clean or dirty, along with the number of rounds fired with the amount of powder used...lots of variables.

I have not tried this in small cases, just large ones as a good test.

I have ordered Patch out, and I am sure that this product and good brushes will clean a rifle easily. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Read in PS many, many moons ago, one of the guys had analysis done on the old RemClean and it had pumice in it. That's pretty aggressive alright. I still have an old bottle half full on the shelf. Have not had to use it in a river of years. But used it enough, way back when, I still remember that stuff would get down to metal on a problem barrel in nooooooo time.

Something I just remembered, about hard powder fouling. I used to use Shooters Choice Black Powder Gel, on a bronze brush. Didn't have a bore scope available, but going by feel, that stuff seemed like it might have been the best chemical I ever tried on hard carbon. Been a long, long, long time since I used it though. For some reason I just remembered it while thinking about RemClean.

- DAA

I rounded the lands in 6 P. dog rifles with the old Yellow container, Rem Clean...that hurt!

I am on my next round with Accelerator and Wipe out foam, a SS Rem 270 with 50 shots down the bbl, and a SS 308 Rem with 50 rounds down the bbl, they are in soak mode now.

I tried the wipe-out also - takes to long to work, shouldn't have to leave it for hours at a time in order to work.

I now use Bore Tech Eliminator & Bore Tech Carbon Remover for the final pass through. This combo is lots faster than using the Wipe Out and I am very picky about having a clean tube. I will sometimes use a little Sweets if need be on really bad tube.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xphunterHolland's Witches Brew for Carbon

Never did get around to trying that. Been a long time since I've heard it mentioned. My memory is pretty bad, but I'm wanting to say it is abrasive and chemical in one?

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: xphunterHolland's Witches Brew for Carbon

Never did get around to trying that. Been a long time since I've heard it mentioned. My memory is pretty bad, but I'm wanting to say it is abrasive and chemical in one?

- DAA

It's good stuff. I don't know if they still do but Pac Nor used to send a bottle with their barrels.

My go to over the years has been a 25-75 mixture of Kroil and Shooters Choice and good ol Hoppies in my rimfires (mostly for the aromatic memories:)
I've also used Sweets, JB, and GM carbon remover for problematic barrels over the years with good results.
I'm stuck in my ways though so I don't use Wipe Out very often but it sure is handy when I'm feeling lazy or in a motel room after a long day of shooting Gofers.
Honestly, with today's technology you'd probably be hard pressed to find a product that doesn't work but if you're just looking for a science project there's plenty to work with and coincidentally, they all claim to be the best.

Ok, here we go again. Examined bores with Lyman bore scope and Hawkeye bore scope.

two rifles:

270 Rem 700 SS fired with 46.0-47.5g of 3031 with 90g Sierra hp, 50 rounds fired

308 Rem 700 SS fired with 44-47g of various powders, 155g Palma-100 rounds fired
this is an exceptional barrel

Pushed 5 patches of Wipe out accelerator down each bore, then foamed...first can of wipe out dead at this point. NO brushing of any kind.

Let barrels soak for 30 hours.

308-clean as a whistle, no copper
270- only trace amounts of carbon, no copper..good to go!

Note, temps have warmed up, may have speeded up the chemical reaction. I am good to go on these two rifles, called it done. All Copper fouling was gone.

Conclusion, if a plastic or bronze bristle brush had been used in conjunction with the Wipe out, 100% of all fouling would have been removed.

I will continue this wipe out test, I am curious to see as the temps rise in the garage, if the cleaning process is more thorough.

Kg-1 has been ordered along with Patch out.

I will conduct a test with KG-1 for powder and Kg-12 for copper later on. I want to finish this Wipe out test first on a variety of applications and various bore conditions.

One warning to all that read this, the GM top engine cleaner which is also marketed as Mercury Outboard Cleaner goes straight to our kidney walls if absorbed through the skin, also as it takes the O2 out of the air,makes my lungs/head hurt...wicked stuff...great however in removing carbon if we survive it. If you use the GM product, it is advisable that you use with the garage door open and wear rubber gloves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePete

Honestly, with today's technology you'd probably be hard pressed to find a product that doesn't work

Hoppes Elite... dish soap in a spray bottle...

What about good ole' Butch's Bore Shine? It's what I've used the most, some Sweets if I've got extra copper in the barrel. But twice now I've had a Sweets bottle leak all over my stuff when I leave it in a warm car, terrible to happen to a box of brand new bullets.

When I was shooting Fclass more often Butch's is what most guys used.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerOriginally Posted By: RePete

Honestly, with today's technology you'd probably be hard pressed to find a product that doesn't work

Hoppes Elite... dish soap in a spray bottle...

I didn't say impossible....I said hard pressed.
smile.gif

I believe you though.....Hoppes lost their Mo-Jo years ago.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerWhat about good ole' Butch's Bore Shine? It's what I've used the most, some Sweets if I've got extra copper in the barrel. But twice now I've had a Sweets bottle leak all over my stuff when I leave it in a warm car, terrible to happen to a box of brand new bullets.

When I was shooting Fclass more often Butch's is what most guys used.

I've substituted Butches in my Shooters Choice/Kroil mixture a few times.
Couldn't tell the difference.
Shooters Choice or Butches....I'd buy the one that's on the shelf.

Back