22-250 velocity loss with shorter barrel

zachsnow55

Hey guys wondering if anyone knows what kind of velocity loss I would get with a 22 inch barrel over a 26 inch barrel in 22-250 with 50 grainers.

In my son's Remington VLS, 26 inch barrel, 55 grain NBT clocks at 3,650 fps.

Exact same load in my Ruger 77V, 24 inch barrel, clocks at 3,450 fps.

Your experience may vary.

I'm getting 3725 out of a 22" barrel with 52s at a little under max. I have a buddy with a 26" that's getting 3750 with 53s just under max. It depends on the barrel. All things equal it's still not going to matter for a coyote. It will lose you 3-4 yards mpbr and a ft/lb or 2 energy, in a much handier set up.

Thanks for the responses guys. The reason I'm asking is because some of the spots I hunt I walk a ways and for walking the shorter barrel sounds better but don't want to lose much performance. Anyone have a ruger American predator in 22-250?

I have a Remington 700 chopped down to 16" my 55 grain hand load dropped from 3670 in a 24" Ruger to 3400 in the short Remmy. Superformance factory ammo dropped to 3550 from 3950. It hurts loosing the speed, but it is still faster than most anything else with a short barrel. My tests were not at all scientific, as the loads were not measured in the same rifle on the same day but it should get you in the ball park.

I'm seeing about 25-30fps loss per each inch you cut off. Your in Penn. not sure how long your shots are but, probably not too far, and from your specs, 100fps loss, with the gain of a more maneuverable system is hands down trade off.

Back