Best value AR under $600? Under $1,000?

MAArcher

Totally new to AR's (other than the one that was issued to me 20 years ago). Whats the best value under those to price points right now? Looking for something that is light (under 7lbs), accurate (MOA, at least with handloads), and reliable (goes bang when the trigger is pulled and not prone to breakage with moderate use). I'll be using it for run and gun coyote hunting and target shooting/plinking. Any advice appreciated.

Some models I've looked at are the Savage MSR Recon and the Sig M400 Enhanced for under $1,000 and the Anderson AM 15 OMC and DPMS Panther Arms Oracle NATO Rifle for under $600 (actually just the least expensive flat tops I could find).

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51Primary Arms are selling AR-15s for $399.
Ready to fire.

And you can always buy cheap and upgrade later...

I know that over on some of the AR forums, some folks have nothing good to say about ARs from Diamondback Firearms.

But, then again, they also have nothing good to say about Rock River, Bushmaster or a couple other brands.
It seems to me, that most of those guys think that if an AR doesn't cost $1500-$3000, then it must be junk.

However, I have also seen reviews over the past few years, that give praise to this "entry level" company.

Personally, I have owned one Diamondback...although due to money issues, I don't own one currently.
But, if things for me change in the next year or so, I know that I will be buying another Diamondback.
I strongly believe that it's a decent gun...for coyote hunting or plinking...entry level or not.
The one I had, the accuracy was good enough for me...10 shot groups @ 100 yds were "half dollar" size, resting on a Rapid Pivot bipod.
And, while I admittedly put less than 500 rounds through it, it never had any issues.
(I took it apart & cleaned it, before mounting the scope & sighting it in.
Then didn't clean it again, until just before I had to sell it.)

Current price for one on Davidson's...or if you shop around...in calibers .223, .330 AAC Blackout, or .300 Whisper...are between $570-$725.

If you've not heard of the brand, here's a link to the AR-15 page of their websight: https://diamondbackfirearms.com/collections/db15-rifle-series

why does the cost matter??

If the parts are working, meet the tolerances and are of a material that isn't going to break down, isn't that the idea?

I don't need a pac barrel to shoot .5moa. Do i like the stock triggers, no, but then i replaced it and it's fine, both were fine, but that is a personal choice.

If there is an AR at a store or online and it's what you are looking for, in the price you can afford, get it.. If you want to upgrade, that is the beauty of an AR. Changing the trigger in an AR is easier than changing the radio in your first car.

most shots are closer that the range i feel comfortable shooting, I don't need to spend extra..

If you feel guilty about buying a low cost AR, buy some glass that is better than you shoot. or an Suppressor if you really feel guilty.

Quote:why does the cost matter??

Quality of materials and care/attention to detail during assembly are the two big reasons that come to mind. You don't have to spend a lot to get quality components, but you'd be surprised what manufacturers will do to cut costs and increase margins - especially on the low cost "budget" rifles.

Now, I'm not the kinda guy who's gonna sit here and tell everyone that they NEED a 4150 CMV, chrome lined barrel for punching holes in paper, coyotes, or other varmints. I just like to advocate for people educating themselves on the materials. That way, they know exactly what they're getting for their hard-earned money. You can lay a $400 AR next to a $800 AR and, while they may look the same, they certainly aren't made the same.

Try building one it's very easy and you can get exactly what you want plus you can learn a ton about the platform. I have a pre Remington DPMS AP4 (m4gery) that's probably got about 4-5k rounds through it without issue.

I would, and have multiple times, put one together myself.

Now-a-days you can buy assembled lowers and assembled uppers, and assembling those two parts is the only part that could seem tricky. If you have the receivers put together the rest is cake, I've had a tougher time assembling my food processor than the rest of the parts on an AR. JoeBobs has great deals on good blackhole weaponry barrels. While the price is extra I really like Aero Precisions M4E1 uppers, and with the extra price of the enhanced upper you need a free float handguard to mount on it, but if you want a free float handguard anyways you won't be paying much more and mounting a barrel on there is simple. I've had guys at the local gun shop torque my barrels on from $0-$5.

If you want to build one and are looking for good deals I would throw an add on the classifieds section saying you are looking for all components needed to build an AR, you should find a decent amount of what you need if not everything.

As for stock triggers, I actually am quite happy with how my milspec trigger turned out after polishing and mounting a trigger adjuster screw for $15.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI would, and have multiple times, put one together myself.

Now-a-days you can buy assembled lowers and assembled uppers, and assembling those two parts is the only part that could seem tricky. If you have the receivers put together the rest is cake, I've had a tougher time assembling my food processor than the rest of the parts on an AR. JoeBobs has great deals on good blackhole weaponry barrels. While the price is extra I really like Aero Precisions M4E1 uppers, and with the extra price of the enhanced upper you need a free float handguard to mount on it, but if you want a free float handguard anyways you won't be paying much more and mounting a barrel on there is simple. I've had guys at the local gun shop torque my barrels on from $0-$5.

If you want to build one and are looking for good deals I would throw an add on the classifieds section saying you are looking for all components needed to build an AR, you should find a decent amount of what you need if not everything.

As for stock triggers, I actually am quite happy with how my milspec trigger turned out after polishing and mounting a trigger adjuster screw for $15.

After putting a few together I don't think I'll ever buy a complete again. My only factory complete is a RR Predator Pursuit I purchased new about 11 years ago. Its the bench mark I use for quality and accuracy. They are very easy to assemble both uppers & lowers, not to mention a lot of fun.

Originally Posted By: satchel357Try building one it's very easy and you can get exactly what you want plus you can learn a ton about the platform. I have a pre Remington DPMS AP4 (m4gery) that's probably got about 4-5k rounds through it without issue.

Yep.. exactly.. I keep an eye out for parts on sale, and buy them and put them in a box. The last AR built took almost 2 years. No rush. Building lowers is simple and once the parts were in the box, it took 30 minutes to put it together. NP.
Uppers are different, but not something that can't be done for someone determined. Looking for sales, realizing what parts are key, and what are fine as stock take learning, and research.

I agree with the building one. I got a empty lower at Brownells a few years ago cheap. Last year i built it with all RRA parts and a upper all from Joebobs. At the end i had less than $1000 in it at the time. Now i have added to it but even before this was a very accurate gun. I do like those RRa parts!!!

While I can assemble a complete AR from the cheapest parts I can find for around $400.00, and have a perfectly functioning and accurate AR, I am too inclined to prefer using higher grade parts and always end up spending about $800.00 when I build an AR. For that I can simply buy a new factory built AR and get a warranty along with better resale over a Frankengun.
The last AR I built was done in the manner Tbone-AZ describes. I had a RRA upper and lower receiver I intended to use on a build that got put on hold by a school shooting that caused my RRA barrel order to go on hold for a year. I ended up sending the upper to Bison Armory to use for my 6.8 SPC upper. I like using Colt M-16 bolt carrier assemblies so I picked one up at a gun show. A RRA lower parts kit, and a magpul Moe stock. Then a milspec buffer tube assembly and a gas tube, and block from Brownells, I replaced the mid length YHM FF forearm on my 6.8 with a Troy, so I had that but now would need a mid length gas barrel to use it with. I got another RRA upper receiver. PSA had a sale on their premium 5.56 barrels so I picked up one of them. A spare Timney trigger went into the lower to complete a very nice carbine. The day I was test firing it at the range a guy asked if I could build him one. I sold that one to him right there for what I had in it, plus the $400.00 value of the Leupold VX-1 1-4 scope and Larue QD mount I'd borrowed off another AR to test the new one with. He didn't want the Timney trigger, so while he went to get the cash, I took the rifle home and installed a Milspec trigger for him. That rifle, assembled with very nice parts without the optic and mount or Timney trigger was worth right at $800. I got all my money back and had the enjoyment of building the rifle. My next stop was a nearby tactical weapons dealer where I got myself a new Colt 6721 for $840 out the door.
My suggestion to the OP is just go get yourself a Colt 6721. They're extremely accurate, fairly priced, under $1000.00, and they come warranted with great resale value.

Predator technology group. Pick your own style and a high quality trigger for under 1k. Mine shoots under an inch at 150 yards with 55grn soft points and mix and match brass because I have several brands and I dont sort it. Go PTG and you wont be swapping parts until you wear out the barrel.

Well, since I live in Massachusetts apparently purchasing an AR is not an option because its a dangerous "assault" weapon. So since its not illegal to own one, just sell one, I'm going to order an 80% lower and jig and just build one. Palmetto State Armory seems to have some good deals on uppers and lowers, any thoughts on them? I was thinking an 18" 1:8 twist Wylde upper and a Magpul CTR or STR stock and PSA lower parts kit.

Back