What bullets in stoner 1-8 22 nosler are working?

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: 204 AROriginally Posted By: GLShooter

A 50 at 3300 is easily obtained in a 223. Why bother?

Greg

In an 18" barrel?

Did you look at my post? Piece of cake.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...940#Post3045940

Greg

I saw 3227 fps with 50 zmax. My 22N is 3420 with 50 zmax with good brass life. Is 200 fps worthwhile? We all can agree the 18" barrel roll-out is a bit mysterious. However there is a place for shorties also, and an increase is an increase. This one runs neck and neck with my 24" 223ai, so I save 6" of barrel for the same performance. I have seen that Ritch runs a 16" 6x6.8 IIRC, some would say why not run a 24" 6x45. Because you get the performance in a handy package when running suppressed.

I will be interested to see the 24" numbers. Speaking with Mike Milli the other day on another subject and I asked him about it. He seemed to believe it will outrun his 22DTI. He actually seemed pretty excited about it and is chambering for it. Mentioned it coming close to a 22-250. And that 24 and 25 caliber rounds were next from Nosler.

If the rebated rim is holding it back, and I can see that with all the bolt thrust working against a smaller footprint so to speak, what would be wrong with using a 6.8 bolt and Hagar brass? Hdy brass is known to be soft also, but I see everyone complaining about all the 6.8 brass out there being crap also, sooo?

Heck I don't remember ever loading a piece of 223 brass 10 times, or 204. Maybe I have with some LC at some point who knows. Grendel brass heck ya that stuff is crazy how long Lapua brass lasts. And on that note who's to say if the 22N takes off Lapua won't make brass in the future?

I think all the diversity and variety of these rounds is a good thing. These cheap barrels are a total crap shoot, anyone who's built AR's knows if you buy a $100 barrel it's a roll of the dice and the odds aren't with you. I guess I went into it with optimism and getting into a new caliber cheaply to check it out while waiting on better barrels to become available. I'm just glad I got mine to acceptable levels fairly quickly and painlessly. If the wind ever dies we will see what it's really capable of at longer ranges.

I think the rim will be problematic in the long run. The HAGAR doesn't shine that much with big bullets. It's even longer than this one. I think the 22X6.8/22 DTI are by far superior over the Nosler.

Extra speed out of a 223 doesn't cost much. The brass is almost free. 100 rounds if Remington Varmint on sale for $50.00 sure makes it cheap. Less than the empty Nosler.

I bought it just to know what it could do. Like I've said I'm going to put it in a quality BHW barrel and then I'll know. All these new deals are fun to play with. Retirement does lend some free time for that. LOL

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI think the rim will be problematic in the long run. The HAGAR doesn't shine that much with big bullets. It's even longer than this one. I think the 22X6.8/22 DTI are by far superior over the Nosler.

Extra speed out of a 223 doesn't cost much. The brass is almost free. 100 rounds if Remington Varmint on sale for $50.00 sure makes it cheap. Less than the empty Nosler.

I bought it just to know what it could do. Like I've said I'm going to put it in a quality BHW barrel and then I'll know. All these new deals are fun to play with. Retirement does lend some free time for that. LOL

Greg

With the Hagar I was meaning necking it down, ie making 22 nosler brass but using a 6.8 bolt. Yeah the longer cases are problematic with bigger bullets, but it's the 22-250 with light bullets they're trying to match.

I think in the end this will prove to be a pretty good round for the coyote crowd. I think it will outsell all of the wildcats, right or wrong. Most will stick with the cheap 556 for sure, and nothing wrong with that. For the rest of us that like variety, even if it comes at a higher cost, it's just fun. Something different.

Retirement? Only 20 years away! We pay a heck of a lot into a good pension plan, and I hope it's still there when it's my turn!

27 grains of 8208 will get you to about 3300 in the 18 inch 223. If 120 fps is worth giving up almost free brass. Then I don't know what to say. To me it's not. I Think about 150-200 fps faster is alll anyone can expect when loaded the same pressures. Which I might add is about the same difference you can expect from the 22-6.8. Some claim more but I wold need to see it personally. I shoot 20" ar barrels any longer is just a pain I will not deal with. If I saw an honest 3600 fps with a.50 I might switch till then it's 223.

I think the gain over a 22X6.8 using the necked Hagar brass will be minimal. One CC of capacity won't give us much no matter how we slice it. I looked long and hard at the HAGAR case and couldn't see any big dealin using it.

The 6X6.8 and real HAGAR are as close as a 20 Practical and a 204. I feel the 22 Nosler with a 6.8 head won't be worth the gymnastics but we all massage cases for fun anyway.

Another thing that needs to be addressed when we start the process is to adjust that humungous throat. I fear until we fix that accuracy will always be a crap shoot.

I must say this case has been the spark for many a good discussion on several boards and so far no one has disparaged anyone's manhood or been called a scum sucking pig. (VBG)

Greg

Originally Posted By: steve garrett27 grains of 8208 will get you to about 3300 in the 18 inch 223. If 120 fps is worth giving up almost free brass. Then I don't know what to say. To me it's not. I Think about 150-200 fps faster is alll anyone can expect when loaded the same pressures. Which I might add is about the same difference you can expect from the 22-6.8. Some claim more but I wold need to see it personally. I shoot 20" ar barrels any longer is just a pain I will not deal with. If I saw an honest 3600 fps with a.50 I might switch till then it's 223.

We all know it's not worth it to you. You've made that abundantly clear on every topic about every other ar cartridge discussed on this board. I'm waiting for the day you pony up your own money and try out that magical round that must be out there that couples 220 swift speed with a small framed rifle designed around a small cartridge and oh yeah it has to have cheap abundant brass.

FWIW I haven't worked with a straight 223 in an ar or bolt in 5 or 6 years at least. I just find them extremely boring. My first ar is an Hbar Colt pre Clinton ban. It will shoot right along side most of what I've bought or built since. My standard load for many pdog shoots was a case stuffed full of 748 (I think 28 gr) and 50 gr nbt's. The first time I got that over a crony was many years after it had killed it's share of pdogs, and the sub 3000 fps from the 20" barrel was a big surprise. It lost a lot of luster that day. Now I haven't tried any new loads to get more speed so I'm sure it would do better.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI think the gain over a 22X6.8 using the necked Hagar brass will be minimal. One CC of capacity won't give us much no matter how we slice it. I looked long and hard at the HAGAR case and couldn't see any big dealin using it.

The 6X6.8 and real HAGAR are as close as a 20 Practical and a 204. I feel the 22 Nosler with a 6.8 head won't be worth the gymnastics but we all massage cases for fun anyway.

Another thing that needs to be addressed when we start the process is to adjust that humungous throat. I fear until we fix that accuracy will always be a crap shoot.

I must say this case has been the spark for many a good discussion on several boards and so far no one has disparaged anyone's manhood or been called a scum sucking pig. (VBG)

Greg

Yeah I don't think it will outrun the 22x6.8 by any margin with any brass that couldn't be explained away with individual barrel differences anyway, you're right there. Your analogy with the 20's is spot on. But what it would do is allow use of simple, available and cheap dies for the 22N and what should be a simple neck down of the Hagar brass. No bushings etc, which would be a draw for some. In the end if I had a 6.8 bolt laying around I might have bought some Hagar brass but I decided like you did it wasn't worth the expense of trying it. Like you said we do it for fun and it would be an interesting experiment.

I have a feeling Ritch is studying that reamer and will get it fixed to allow it to chamber better barrels, would I be correct or is that even legal with copyright laws etc?

I'll write more later but there is no copyright as they are SAMMI meaning open source. We can do anything we want to them. Reference all the 223 and 308 chambers. There are at least six 308's out there.

Greg

Originally Posted By: liliysdadIm banging 3500 with a 50 from a 223AI and in 18" barrel...223 brass is all but free, no point in not stepping on it.

That's the beauty of that little case. It just begs to perform at virtually no cost.

Greg

Originally Posted By: HumpnessSo the market will be mostly be for the people who don't reload.

I think that is possible but once some quality barrels hit the market it may gather some market share. Right now the cartridge is being dissected by some obviously talented people across the US on various boards.

The leave the case on the ground guys buy a lot of ammunition but I suspect at the price of this it won't be even close to what is sold compared to rounds like the 204 or 17 Remington. I also believe that it will get little play from other ammunition suppliers. Everyone seems to have a dog in the fight for a hot varmint round and this one is in for rough sledding.

Just some meandering thoughts on this.

Greg

Back