6.5x55 loads

After some experimenting early on, I now shoot only 129 grain Hornady SSTs over Reloader 19. Very accurate load in my Sako, and at the Swede's modest velocity, those SSTs work very well. I've shot hogs, mule deer, whitetail, and pronghorn and have yet to recover a bullet from a dead critter. All good pass through shots with evidence of excellent terminal performance.

Am curious, if your 6.5x55 Swede rifle, has a military or commercial made action. Makes a difference on amount of powder you can put in your reloads that are safe, pressure wise, for the action.

Just check Alliant's load data for the 6.5x55, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
Mine is a Howa so it can handle full power loads. I could not get any velocity with RL 19. I tried some IMR 4831 and got 200 more fps, and excellent accuracy to boot.

Don't mean to derail the subject, but since the Son has a strong interest in military history we bought a 'Type 38' Arisaka' last weekend at the show. It's in fairly good shape, matching numbers, ground 'MUM' chambered in 6.5X50.

I bought one box of factory ammo, reloading supplies come today, Grafs & Midway. I got Lee dies, two brands of cases, and Sierra 120 grain Prohunter bullets. We have a bayonet on the way too.

I plan to use H-380 powder, maybe H-4895 also, they come up often. In all likelihood these will mostly just be shot at the range. I can't see using the gun over my other, more suitable choices for deer hunting, but maybe.

We got the gun from a 'private seller' who had his own table. He new a lot about the gun, Kokura Arsenal and other tidbits.

Back