Valentines date

titch--

It hasnt really worked out good to get out much lately, but a ole friend wanted to go out so we decided that valentines day seemed like as good as any.

First stand at first light we had lots of yotes but no takers. Started with some howls and on the second rounds of howls they howled back. Looked down in the field at the bottom of the valley and see 5 coyotes at 850ish yds walking. After they lit up two more across the valley howled back and after they howl two more howled down the valley, so no shortage of coyotes around here. :dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana: The 5 didnt really want anything to do with us because I when I looked up at my partner he was kind of exposed on the hill top.
frown.gif
oh well Ill get em next time.

Next place I was told to ask a new farmer for permission and he had no problem and even told us where he thinks a den is. We tried there but no luck, but on the way back to the truck we spotted 2 out in a different field. Drove over that direction and glassed around, but didnt see em now. Did some more howlin to see if they would bite and give up their location and winner winner chicken dinner. They did and... another group of it sounded like three of them howled back aswell. Didnt pursue them as the wind wasnt right. Next time for them aswell, in fact I think the the three that howled back might even be the same group that howled from down the valley earlier as it was only a few km's away from the first stand we did.
smile.gif

Next stand we drove back the other way down the valley about 4km's and knocked on a door I havent been to in two years. Parked and started walking. Only had to go maybe 500yds and found a good place to set up. Lots of magpies and ravens around making tones of noise, so I had a good feeling about this place today. Never shot one here before but know they are around. Started with some howls again since this is the love makin time of the year.
smile.gif
Again on the second set of howls we have three light up across the valley from us. [beeep] this is starting to be a trend here with being on the wrong side of the valley.
frown.gif
Anyways after these guys do their lil deal, another set down the valley light up and do there thing. These guys though I know they are there from last year as I tried 4 times for them and got busted all for times trying to get em. It was stupid mistakes like just getting ready and laying down prone and I accidentally hit my mouse squeaker and these two pop up 200yds to my front and bolt. Right after I took the time for a big hike to get in behind them. Man I was pissed. heh Another time it was foggy out and I was walking in with some chickens were flying in front of me so I was paying attention to them when I came around a corner of a bush and there they were again. Just #### luck.
smile.gif
ANyway I think it was them that howled. heh Wow went off the rails a lil there.
smile.gif
And after them going off we heard one more on our side this time and again I knew they were there aswell.

Last stand for the day for us was kind of a long one. I think it was just over 2 hours in total. Set up in the same place from earlier in the year when I took three with the 204. Something like 85, 375 and 402 yds.

My front again, kept forgetting to take pics so Ill use the old one
2016%20Dec%2015%20Triple%20Looking%20out%20front_zpshqnqi9o5.jpg

In that pic the wind was coming from our right to left about 7kms, so wanting my partner to tag one and knowing this place well. I set him up down wind of me and told him to watch certain areas. After some female howls, maybe even on the second round of them again I see two walking down on the ice down towards my partner maybe 600 past him. We tried everything to get em to come but no can do, they wouldnt bite. They just wandered around on the other side of the river for the next hourish. After throwing everything but the kitchen sink at em, I tried some platinum fox distress sounds and see another coyote run our way on the ice, kind of where these other two started. Last I saw of him he was coming off the river into some bushes on our side. Later my buddy said that he saw one in a bush looking but took off right away before he could take a shot. After all that we see the other two from earlier started headin our way on the other side. One stays on the edge of the ice and the other walks up on the bank to get lost in some bush. This guy comes all the way to 460yds and heads in some bush right on the edge of the river and lays down. We can clearly see it laying on a snow bank in some bushes looking back for its partner all the time. Im good with this shot on this yote but it decided to lay down in a bad spot behind some bushes from me and I have been burnt twice this year by thinking I could punch it through some bushes, but sitting there for well over a hour now and watching this yote for about ten minutes I decided that Ive waited long enough. I ranged the bushes at 461 and guessed it was about 465yds and with the wind the way it was it worked to about a moa so I held for the 4ish inches. Got steady and the shot broke clean and after about a second, the beautiful sound of that pop echoed back. I love that sound and you know when it makes that sound its a good shot. I reloaded another round and looked threw the scope and all I saw was a twitching tail. Perfect chest shot. After having a good laugh at the delayed pop the partner of this one came back out on the ice to for a look see. Tried calling it but nothing. Ranged it 740 but had the wrong rifle and there was a farm no to far behind it, so no shot.

So if anyone is looking for a good round to shoot out of their 223 with atleast a 9twist, I recommend the 69gr TMK's. Ive had really good luck with these of coyotes this year and with shootin really good out to 750.

The bushes I shot through. This pic was just left a ways from the first one.
IMG_0439_zpspqkdoisi.jpg

Only pics of my valentines date.
smile.gif

IMG_0440_zpslazgjmmg.jpg

Sorry for the big read but since I havent done it in awhile, it was time.
smile.gif
And I like writing these as I get older I find I dont really write anything anymore so it is like use it or lose it. heh Even if its a bad grammer.
laugh.gif

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Enjoyed the read titch, calling coyotes at this time of the year can get frustrating but you guys sure put in the effort.
Did you lose any of your snow over the past couple days? I just got home today and the +16C (61F) temperatures sure raised havoc with our snow here!

Hey thanks guys.

Yes it is melting like crazy again and will be until atleast monday-tuesday, so by saturday when Im thinking of going out again. Im hoping that its melted alot more so Im not all wet when I get up from doing a stand.
smile.gif

Thx scott

I might need your help if you wanna come along on some problem coyotes that have to be taken care of around the north end of buffalo pound. I think two shooters would be better for this. I have a friend that wanted to come for this but I dont know if it will work out. Just thought you might be down for it.
smile.gif

Back