Day Time Setups

Stroble

I"m from PA. been calling predators for about 11-12 years now most of my calling is at night a little daylight, I would like some info. on setting up in wooded mountain ground how far should I move between sets.

Where are you from Stroble? I live up in the Wilkes Barre area now. I too hunt the mountains. I've only been doing this for about a year with no success but I'm learning each time.

Daytime I like to set up along side swamps, swail bogs or some type of thicket that looks like a predator would love to bed-up in. Preferably get up on a high point where you can look down and into it and see the thick edge. If you can sit on the downwind side even better.

Killed some as late as 10AM and as early as 2:30 in the afternoon. Never got anything around noon time.

That edge of swamp tactic worked for me today, quite a bit of snow in the opens up here, watched the coyote work it's way along the edge of a beaver pond just inside the edge. It came in on my far right side, couldn't swing on it quick enough. Thought it would continue to work its' way towards the call, but seemed to vanish. Was about to give up and decided to hit pup distress, brought it right back into the same opening in the hemlocks, and there it fell. Thanks LARUEminati for the tip!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZcustomThat edge of swamp tactic worked for me today, quite a bit of snow in the opens up here, watched the coyote work it's way along the edge of a beaver pond just inside the edge. It came in on my far right side, couldn't swing on it quick enough. Thought it would continue to work its' way towards the call, but seemed to vanish. Was about to give up and decided to hit pup distress, brought it right back into the same opening in the hemlocks, and there it fell. Thanks LARUEminati for the tip!

H*ll ya, way to get it done
thumbup1.gif

When in doubt, pup distress! You've found them during the day in the northeast, easier said than done!

Back