Baiting

I modified a new driveway patrol I bought of ebay a month ago.. The antenna was not a long white wire. I believe it is replaced by coiled copper wire. I soldered a flexible lead to this and added a 12ga antenna. Works perfect at 125 yards when I walk in front of it. But 75% of the time my dog wouldn't trigger it unless she was a few feet away.

My old driveway patrol when it was working right always triggered for any animal that crossed its path. I wonder if the sensors have changed. Before that I had a Chamberlin that was adjustable, giving you the flexibility to decrease the sensitivity so small animals would not trigger it.

Pmack, the new ones are tunable. There is a little screw on either the receiver or sending unit that allows you to optimize the frequency. I don't remember which one it is on, but I had to do mine that way.

My hunting partner killed one early tonight and we had another one that was just out of range, no video of that kill shot. When I got home it was still early, so I made a few calls from behind my shop. I spotted a couple of targets about 800 yds. out but thought at first they were deer. When I went to Breeding Coyotes, they started moving fast and I thought they might follow the field path along the woods line and come right on up to me, but they disappeared in the woods.

Later my alarm went off on the bait site and it was this big male. Apparently he came out to investigate looking for love in all the wrong places and decided he just as well have a snack while looking. The 50 v-max out of the Stag AR carbine put the smack down on him pretty good.

And a picture:

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpPmack, the new ones are tunable. There is a little screw on either the receiver or sending unit that allows you to optimize the frequency. I don't remember which one it is on, but I had to do mine that way.

I checked receiver no visible screw.

I'll check the sensor later.

Manual says nothing about a screw, advises adding masking tape to tone down the sensitivity. Apparently mine isn't that new.

Here in NY I got about 6 weeks left, got to get this alarm sorted out. I had an owl on video 5 times and alarm never went off. It went off at 1:15 but nothing there when I looked and no video, I'm really scratching my head.

Congrats on the coyote.

He paid no attention to the glow from the IR. The coyotes around here avoid it like the plague. I've got 2 Bushnells (one's an HD) and I don't use the other, the IR glow is much brighter. Even the fox stare at it. I had tracks criss crossing the area yet they won't approach the bait.

Old one at the top, probably 4-5 years old, modified it last January and it started acting up last year but I lived with it.

New one at bottom, no screw adjustment and antenna (I believe) is now is now the coiled copper. Works flawlessly @ 125 yards when I walk in front of it but fails to trigger on my dog unless she's within a yard. I taped off the LED and it sits a couple feet from bait pile, we'll see what happens.

Anyone with an alarm besides the Driveway Patrol please chime in (pun intended) with what you're using.

Last edited:
Did your receiver have a coated wire for an antenna or did it have a piece of solid wire bent in a 90 degree angle? Sorry I can't be more help.

The IR light from the camera is on a Stealth Cam blackout model so it doesn't show any visible IR at the emitters for the animal to see. Here is the view from the camera.

Nice video DoubleUp. Boy, you can hear the pop when the bullet hits. That camera does a good job.

Pmack, I'm going to test the 1byone driveway sensor as soon as I can so I can give some feedback of how far it will reach. I have a feeling it's not going to go much over 100 yards. The paperwork indicates 328 feet / 100 meters in open area, but I'll see how it does and report back. I know you need something soon, but this unit may not work for you since you need a further distance if I recall correctly.

It did hit him hard, and he was a big heavy coyote too. Don't know how well you can see it since there is some degradation of video quality from the original but you could literally see the smoke fly off him in it.

I'll be interested as well in your findings of the new 1byone as to range.

I believe the receiver had a coated wire, I'll check tomorrow.

That was a great video and shot, short and to the point.

No apologies necessary, you've been a great resource

Last edited:
Pmack, what length wire are you using for your antenna? I think I figured out that a 1/4 wave antenna for 433 Mhz needs to be about 21 inches some time ago. It just worked out by dumb luck that I had cut mine at that length without knowing anything about it. Being upstairs should give you even more range.

DoubleUp, I could see the dust, smoke or whatever in both videos. The camera video requires some close observation but can be seen. The scope video is more evident. I assume the bullet didn't exit.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpPmack, what length wire are you using for your antenna? I think I figured out that a 1/4 wave antenna for 433 Mhz needs to be about 21 inches some time ago. It just worked out by dumb luck that I had cut mine at that length without knowing anything about it. Being upstairs should give you even more range.

Reciever wire is coated, my antenna is 22". I don't think that's my problem, it triggers fine with me, it's the small critters that don't seem to be triggering it. I think its related to the sensor not the sending unit.

I could see the smoke off that coyote
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Good idea on lowering it pmack. I have mine about 18" off the ground, but put a wedge in to angle them down slightly. You can increase the range somewhat I believe by adding an equal length antenna to the transmitter as well, but that doesn't seem to be the problem since it triggers well when you pass in front of it.

I had problems initially with my sensors by placing them too high. Then I lowered them and now nothing gets through. It catches possums, skunks, fox and coyotes. I try to align the sensors as parallel to the ground as I can and not have a steep angle that may only catch an animal when it is positioned just right.

Also, I use multiple sensors around the site. I have learned that the coyotes will always approach the uphill side of my bait site since the prevailing wind blows up the hill. I have tall grass on both sides of the bait site, so I place a sensor at each edge of both and they catch the coyotes when they enter the bait area, but still a distance from the bait itself. I also have two sensors lower down on the hillside, one aiming directly at the bait pile and the other one between the bait and the uphill entrance. This setup seems to work pretty good for me.

I checked cameras this morning and learned that a coyote visited my site on the early morning of the 14th. It stayed most of the morning and left just before daylight. I may try to stay at the cabin tonight and hope for a return.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpGood idea on lowering it pmack. I have mine about 18" off the ground, but put a wedge in to angle them down slightly. You can increase the range somewhat I believe by adding an equal length antenna to the transmitter as well, but that doesn't seem to be the problem since it triggers well when you pass in front of it.

I have an antenna on the transmitter also.

Fox season ended last night at midnight and this guy showed up near the closing bell but alarm never went off. The sensor on the bait seems to make him hesitant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgmnrKxHXzc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
I lowered transmitter to 12-14 inches off ground.

30 videos of great horned owl, a racoon along with a few deer over night.

Only the deer triggered the alarm, I shut it off then.

This morning even at a foot off the ground my lab has to be withing a yard to trigger it. It picks me up fine at the far side of the pile all the time. I have a bad sensor or somethings changed in sensor of the driveway patrol.

Last thing I'll try changing the angle by adding a wedge.

Last edited:

I finally tested the new sensors this morning when my wife helped me. They are disappointing as to range and I seem to have them set just on the edge of their capability at my 60 yard site. They work fine at 60 yards and one time they worked around 65-70 yards but that was it.

Back