Soft howls-mid day?

Stub2

I was setting up on a hill side in a wooded area about 10:30 am. Wind, air movement little as there was, angled into my face. My e-caller was on the low ground atleast 40 yards to my left.
As I was about really to sit down I hear low volume howling to my right at a fairly long distance (1/4-1/2 mile out). Ive never hear coyotes howl during the daytime. On top of that the vocals are basically non-stop.
After I started using a female howl back it sounded like the howls from the coyotes were being directed back towards me. I spread my calls out leaving plenty of silence inbetween howls.
The coyotes sounded like they were zigzaging toward me. However, the howls didn't get much louder even though coyotes felt to me like they were only a couple hundred yards off. I TURNED THE VOLUME DOWN ON MY CALLER SO I WOULDN'T BE SO MUCH LOUDER THAN THE COYOTES.
The coyotes howled non stop until several snowmobles raced down the nearest road. After 5 minutes or so the coyotes started howling again. It seemed like they just out of view, maybe 150 yards out but the howls were not loud at all. Finally more snowmobles come through and the game was over.
So, whats my questions, 1. Do you think I was hearing someone with a low volume e-caller, who may have moved closer to me? 2. Do coyotes make low volume howls like this especially mid day? 3. Could what I heard be normal for the breeding season.
What really gets me is that it sounded like atleast two coyotes moving in but their howls didn't seem much louder than when they were far off.

Welcome to Predator Masters ! I really doubt someone was walking & calling like that but who knows. Being in the breeding season you could experience new things for sure. I hope you waited a bit then continued to try after snowmobiles went by. Possibly they got your downwind & game was over then.

Part of the fun of this game is new experiences, try to outsmart Wiley & thinking outside the box.

Good luck & stay after them. Always something new & exciting !

If it was public could of been someone else. Only coyote vocals and iv ever heard in daylight was one warning barking at me for 10min. In 22yrs of hunting my area.

I did wait for a few minutes and when the coyotes didn't start back up I used a female coyote howl a couple times then waited 10 minutes or so.
Being new to coyote hunting I don't have a very good sense of the difference between the different vocals.

Back