Hunting tripod vs camera tripod

Lazerus

I have read the threads about the tripods that night guys like and it got me thinking. Is there an actual benefit to a particular style or is it just personal preference?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a "camera" tripod vs a "hunting" specific tripod(bogpod) and vice versa?

Either way when you get into the good tripods your talking a few hundred dollars minimum, then the mounting head you need which will be another few hundred. I've personally run a couple Manfrotto carbon fibers for filming and a few Manfrotto for shooting, I've got the ZROdelta DCLW HEAD-S and the Cradle option for it, I've also got the Kopfjager industries Reaper grip. All of which are solid set ups.

They are expensive but I went to Really Right Stuff for all three of my tripods. Had the Manfrotto but they really do not compare and for the price difference, should not.

I'm using a Manfrotto Pro 055 Tripod, Manfrotto Ballhead, and a Pig Saddle. I did modify the mounting plate by drilling and adding a bolt to prevent the Pig Saddle from spinning on the mount. Joshua at ShadowTech did tell me that I might want to look at a different ballhead because of that issue but I caught the Manfrotto Ballhead on sale. After that mod, which was easy for me, and for the price, I like it. I can provide a photo of the mod that I did if you want it. Here is a photo of the rig with my rifle mounted.
The bogPod, I have one, is not in the same class as the Manfrotto as far as stability goes. I have not used the Really Right Stuff but I hear that they are VERY nice, but very expensive. I've got about $425.00 in my setup.

Last edited:
A couple of the advantages of the camera tripod/ ball head setup are for one, they are more stable and second, you can go hands free until you have a customer. They are about as close to shooting off a bench as you'll get. There are several ways to get there, all depends on your investment level. I've got right at $275 in my setup. There are several threads over on the Hide on the topic.

Good luck.

I have never used a camera style tripod with a ball head but we've been extremely happy with how the caldwell magnum deadshot field pods have been working.

Last edited:
I have a tripod setup that is solid for $425.00 However, my $67.00 primos shooting sticks get used 98% of the time and I hunt by myself 99% of the time at night.

PS: Keep in mind that tripod, etc all have weight limits.

Last edited:
Back