Coyote Hunting in Wisconsin

ceejayyd

My buddy introduced me to coyote hunting earlier this year, he had been doing it for about a year now and he wanted me to join him, so I bought myself an AR, put a vortex 3-9x40 crossfire II scope on it and started hunting with him. We've gone out probably 5 or 6 times, but he's gone out a lot more than I have and neither of us has called a coyote in to shoot. We usually go at night around 1-3 and stay out fo a couple hours. Here in east central Wisconsin I don't know if there is a lot of coyotes but we were told to go to the Kettle Moraine, so we did and we scouted out a few spots, but still never were able to call anything in, recently we bought a new call, the Primos Alpha Dogg, and we tried some new spots and we heard a few coyotes nearby but still nothing came in sight for us to shoot. wondering if there may be something we are doing wrong. We try our best to be as quiet as possible and usually we are. but I'm also wondering if it is better to go when it's light out so we can actually see without using our red lights. if it makes a difference we always spray ourselves in scent killer and a few times we even sprayed our boots with red fox urine because it was recommended to us by a Gander Mountain employee. We also pay attention to the wind direction and try our best to stay up wind. Thanks to anyone who read all of this. I'm open to any suggestions anyone has and i will greatly appreciate them.

I've never done any calling at night and am just starting predator hunting again after a long hiatus, but I like to be on the downwind side of the caller.

Can't call coyotes if they are not there,if they see you,if they smell you, hear you ,are educated or just don't want to come. You might get ONE every 15 or 20 calls where you are hunting. Out west where many of the stories you see here are happening ,goes to show it is much easier to call coyotes in the west. Why? Coyote density is a big factor and lack of human contact is another. Here in Iowa there are people every few miles and the coyotes get real good at avoiding us. This time of year it is hard to call them they have heard it all. The dumb ones are dead. October is a good time to start many pups young and dumb are easy targets.
Everyone watches coyote video(really good way to learn but you only see the called coyotes the tapes are edited) and thinks that looks fun but you may go with no success for a long time. Lots a guys think if they buy an electronic caller and a rifle that they are a coyote Hunter ! It takes time and detacation to be coyote Hunter that kills coyotes. It's very rewarding when you get to the point where you get them more often than not. No replacement for the school of hard knocks. You can learn a bunch on here. Many good hunters ,callers,and shooters. Keep at it and it will happen, remember no ribbons for everyone just the trophy of coyote when you fool them.
Keep at it and good luck
MasterBlaster

I'm new too. I've been learning to just enjoy the journey. Getting out is a reward in itself. Success will come to those that persevere... this I have learned from big game hunting and from following posts on this forum. Good luck, happy hunting.

Originally Posted By: MasterBlasterCan't call coyotes if they are not there,if they see you,if they smell you, hear you ,are educated or just don't want to come. You might get ONE every 15 or 20 calls where you are hunting. Out west where many of the stories you see here are happening ,goes to show it is much easier to call coyotes in the west. Why? Coyote density is a big factor and lack of human contact is another. Here in Iowa there are people every few miles and the coyotes get real good at avoiding us. This time of year it is hard to call them they have heard it all. The dumb ones are dead. October is a good time to start many pups young and dumb are easy targets.
Everyone watches coyote video(really good way to learn but you only see the called coyotes the tapes are edited) and thinks that looks fun but you may go with no success for a long time. Lots a guys think if they buy an electronic caller and a rifle that they are a coyote Hunter ! It takes time and detacation to be coyote Hunter that kills coyotes. It's very rewarding when you get to the point where you get them more often than not. No replacement for the school of hard knocks. You can learn a bunch on here. Many good hunters ,callers,and shooters. Keep at it and it will happen, remember no ribbons for everyone just the trophy of coyote when you fool them.
Keep at it and good luck
MasterBlaster
What he said.

Originally Posted By: ceejayydso you like to have the wind to your back or your face?

I prefer it in my face. MasterBlaster pretty much nailed it. The river dogs here where I hunt are very educated, just takes persistence and a little luck. I've only done maybe 25 sets this year so far and have only harvested one.

There are regional differences in coyotes, so I can't speak specifically for where you are, but around here a coyote tends to circle to the downwind side of where the noise they are investigating is coming from. The later in the year the further from the call that seems to be. I don't often call with the wind in my face due to the fact that the coyotes are apt to come in behind me where I can't see them. I prefer to call with a crosswind ( hitting me from behind the ear to the cheek somewhere) and be able to see/ shoot downwind with minimal movement. When I hunt with someone this time of year the gunner always covers the downwind and the caller covers over the call and upwind.

Good Luck!

I prefer a cross wind too unless I have a 2nd shooter covering the backdoor. Most coyotes will not just come screaming into an open hay field. This time of year they are cautious and will use the terrain and wind to their advantage. Use a hand call to mix it up. Make 2 series on a hand call and then just sit there for 10 minutes. If a coyote is near they have heard the call and might come in and take a look. More calling is not always the best thing. Lots of people out there with ecalls.

I've called in all areas of wisconsin and a fair amount out west. I'll tell you for sure calling in wisconsin is way more difficult for me now then it was even 10 years ago. Much much more calling pressure now. We have been adapting by using hand calls or recordings of me hand calling uploaded on an ecaller and making longer and longer stands. Instead of the 20-30 min stands of the past we now kill coyotes every year up into the 2 hour range. It may take a while for you to locate areas not being pressured and develop a feel for where to setup. Good info about the wind, as this is a major factor. If they smelll you, it's over. I like my wind either blowing to a barrier they can't get around or out into an area you have good visibility so you can get a shot as they attempt to get your wind.

I don't call at night here too cold. Masterblaster is right. It is way easier to call in the west.But my first observation is that you said 1-3. Coyotes here don't move then. I have traveled the roads often that late at night working oil rigs doing service calls. I don't see coyotes then. I see them right after dark and right before daylight along with the jackrabbits and cottontails. Like I said I don't hunt at night. My theory rides on it is colder than ----. Here at night it is very cold. In Wisconsin at night do you see any cottontails out when you are calling? Just a thought. Might help you get to bed earlier

scent killer is a scam. You can't beat their nose. Don't waste your money. Drakkar Noir works just as good and the ladies like it too! Watch downwind, hunt cutbanks or something similar heat rises along with your scent. Be quiet, but don't skip a stand because you were too loud. Wiley might have been preoccupied when you walked in. You can't win if you don't play. Ambition is 90 percent of the game. Masterblaster is extremely ambitious. And he has had as much success as anyone I know in the Midwest. Being a great shot helps but getting out there is the key.

Scent. I hunt alone, make sure my scent is down and watch the wind. I try to position myself so I can see the coyote coming from a long way, even in the woods. I've been pretty fortunate to tag them. However, I did a contest this past weekend with my BIL and he smokes. We did not see one coyote the entire weekend. Dumb luck? Maybe but methinks his smoking had an ill effect.
I did manage to call in 5 bobcats over the two days so it isn't my calling! Lol!!!!!

First tip of advise, get rid of th AR and use a shotgun with copper plated BBs. If your calling in the right places you won't need a rifle and and after you have invested tons of time out in the field and you miss a running yote comming past your call your going to get discouraged. Mentioned above 20 plus times of sits and you'll be lucky IF you see one come in.Thats why I go to arizona a lot where the average called coyote is around 1 in 4 sets VS here in lower part of the state you will be lucky to get one called in a season. We don't have the population like some of the other posters on this site. If it were me, I would read as much as possible from the posters on this sight since there is a wealth of knowledge here and use it to do what I do...go out west where yotes are like flies. Most of your succesful coyote hunters in Wisconsin use dogs or hunt off bait piles. I'm all about calling as well but if you really want to shoot one I'd find a dead carcass to hunt over and sit all night with night vision. Don't use and goofy scents play the wind and call a lot. Lastly from bowhunting and turkey hunting over the last thirty years I've shot a about a dozen by chance walking through between 8-9am...well after the sun is up and two arrowed around 3 in the afternoon so I would tell you to try calling at first light and the last hour of the day. I shoot more fox and raccoon at night than coyotes in my area.

Last edited:
Back