My Wyoming 2016 Fall Black Bear

Yotes2Call

I had 5 years of history with this color phase, notched ear boar…
This bear showed up to my bait area the first time in October of 2012 after I’d taken another mature boar in September.
He was already bigger then my 55 gal bait barrel !

First_sighting_2012.JPG

For the next few years, I only ever got 2 daytime pics of him right before dark settled in. He was a smart old boar and very keen to the baiting game I think.
I believe he knew things weren’t quite natural and only visited during the cover of darkness from 2012 to early 2016.
I have 10’s of thousands of pictures and countless hours of trail cam video from that time frame.

During the first part of the 2016 Fall season here in Wyoming, he showed again and I got my first morning pictures of him days before season started.
This got me very excited that I might get a chance at him. Over the next couple months, we played cat and mouse with each other. I started thinking that I needed to try to call him with my FOXPRO CS24-C in the evenings.
We are very lucky here in Wyoming and can use our FOXPRO’s to call everything but waterfowl. He had showed a few nights within about 30 minutes of sunset making me realize he had to be hanging close by and maybe the call would get him in before shooting light faded.

I got to my stand early, set out my CS24-C close to the base of a tree about 43 yards away from my stand and let things quit down for about an hour.
I started off with a few cub distress and then did some jaw snaps/huffs. After a few times doing this, I looked at my watch and knew I had about 20 to 25 minutes left before dark.
I caught a movement from the corner of my eye and there he was !! 8 to 10 yards away from the base of my tree. He was standing there looking around for the other bears that were making the sounds. He crossed right in front of me and circled the caller down below. Finally, he moved to the left and I got a good shot at him. He didn’t go 20 yards after the shot. The FOXPRO did it …. After five years of waiting, watching and hoping.

He measured 7'3" long and 476 lbs his skull is 20" plus. Will be back shortly and will be measured dried.

2016_bear1.jpg

2016_bear_2.jpg

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: DesertRamWhat a beast! That's quite a reward for your incredible patience and perseverance.

Averaged 40-45 trips every Fall. 101 miles from my house, round trip

Me and him had a thing .... grin

Worth every minute too !

Originally Posted By: RemingtonmanNice write up. What are the specs to your hunting rifle, bullet,powder, ect?

GA Precision built 6.5 Saum
Nightforce 2.5-10x42
Bartlien 8.7 twist #3 with Vias brake
Montana Sling
140 amax at 3140 fps
H1000 lit with Tula LRM primer

Originally Posted By: Yotes2CallOriginally Posted By: RemingtonmanNice write up. What are the specs to your hunting rifle, bullet,powder, ect?

Nightforce 2.5-10x42
Montana Sling
140 amax at 3140 fps
i had to laugh at this...all that and the shot was under 30 yards...lol

Originally Posted By: Yotes2CallTrying to decide between rug and full mount....

Wanna honor this old boy right

All it takes is Money!

Originally Posted By: Yotes2CallOriginally Posted By: RemingtonmanNice write up. What are the specs to your hunting rifle, bullet,powder, ect?

Nightforce 2.5-10x42
Montana Sling
140 amax at 3140 fps

How does it shoot with that sling?
lol.gif

Awesome bear. Congrats!

Great !!

And it doubles as a strap to hold a foot to a tree while dressing out.

I run them on all rifles and Benelli !

Dang near forgot to get it off the tree branch too !

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKOriginally Posted By: Yotes2CallTrying to decide between rug and full mount....

Wanna honor this old boy right

All it takes is Money!

Ya, but you're a rich retired teacher ! Grin

Wait ... is that an Oxymoron??

Back