Newer VLD-style Bullets Working Great

sscoyote

Been using the newer 69, 77 TMK's and 73, 75, and 80 Horn. ELD's and A-Max's for long-range coyotes. Have several 300, 490, 565 yard coyote kills this year and they're working great for us. Using the old DPMS VLD magazine and bolt stop allows for more powder capacity. Below here, the 53 V-Max, 65 SGK, 69 TMK, 73 ELD-M, 75 A-Max, 77 TMK, 80 A-Max--

this was the 490-yd. coyote. 69 TMK, 223 AI. Can't remember what the wound looked like. High shoulder shot. DRT--

This was one at 335ish from last year--

150ish from last year. Sorry can't remember the wound size--

The 69 is working great for me...though it's not a fur bullet. Coyotes at the high point of the point blank range (~150 to 175 yds.) have big wounds in the backbone area, and have to be sewn up if you wanna' sell them.

Don't have enough pics really as my camera was screwing up on me. Buddy's taking some pics with a good cell phone which I don't have access to. His straight up 223 AR (VLD Magazine also) is setup a bit better than mine for long range varminting apps. He's using a 6.5-20X VX-III VH reticle with turrets, and I'm using the 3-9X Burris Timberline BP reticle only. His 565-yarder (VH reticled) ran about 10 yds. or less when it fell into a cholla. 77 TMK through the lungs. 300 yarder last week through the lungs half dollar-size exit wound fell into the ravine it came out of DRT, 80 ELD-M. 3 cottontails taken at 700-730 yds. in 6 or 7 shots was pretty amazing to spot for-2 bullets 75 A-Max and 77 TMK.

Can't wait to try the 73 ELD-M out of my AR, and should stabilize OK in it's 9T.

Over the years now shooting many "long-range" bullets at coyotes/varmints out of my AR, it's my belief that these bigger higher BC bullets will satisfy the internal, external, and even terminal ballistics overall better than the lighter 53, 55, and 60's...BUT you really need the VLD Magazine to make this work.

Directions on Maxing Out the Case Over all length in the AR15.
copy and paste link below in your browser:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10109242/Re:_Which_AR15_mag_for_max_coa

Last edited:
Now that 2.345 oughtta work, maybe even with the 80 ELD-M, with a bit less velocity than what could be achieved with the VLD Mag. system we're using.

Once again I will say that we believe that this is a long-range varminting niche that's waiting to be discovered. The biggest question is/was terminal ballistics to the 500-700 yd. range with 223 vel.'s. But these newer polymer-tipped bullets should fill the bill. They're working for us so far. Often wonder about all these 8T barrels that are being used in the varminting fields with 50's-60's, and we now know there's a better mouse trap...

Back