Barrel Break-in questions

BCD 45

What procedure do you think is best for a new rifle barrel break-in. I'm sure this has been discussed & cussed many times. In the past I've done the long 1/2 day break-in and I've also just shot 10 rounds & cleaned for 40 rounds & called it quits. I can't tell if it makes a difference or not. Why do you think guys use break-in procedures, to promote easier cleaning or for accuracy or both? After every range session, about 40 rounds, I do a cleaning with patch out/wipe out over night then about every 200-300 rounds I'll do a major cleaning. I just would like your opinions. Thanks,
Jim D

This is a very controversial subject here on PM. I personally have never done a barrel break-in on my my guns. Just loaded them up and shot. The factory barrel on my Savage 112 in .223 did benefit from the JB bore paste treatment when it was new but none of my other barrels needed it.

Now having said that I should be getting my CZ 527 back from ER Shaw next week after having them put one of their .221 Fireball barrels on it. If they have a break-in procedure that they recommend that I follow then I will. Maybe not to the letter but hey- they made the barrel so I figure that they know better than me. Will it shoot better if I break it in the way they say to? Who knows? I guess doing it the way they say to do it won't hurt anything.

Your question is going to open up a hornets nest , lol.

This question was asked recently and the majority said they cleaned it when they bought and then go out and shoot the crap out of it.

I break-in all my barrels and its been said that they will clean up easier, mine seem to, but I have no guns that have not been broke in, so I way to compare it.

The best 3 shot group for my .204 to date is .101 at 100yds, the 22-250, .118 and my 25-06 is at .156. Does it help? I don't know.

Folks will tell you its a waste of time, I say if you want to do it knock yourself out, I doubt it will hurt anything.

Here Kitty Kitty

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Texas Swifty I'm sure this has been discussed & cussed many times.

yes it has.

see that white box up there that says google custom search? type "barrel break in" in that box. you should find enough discussing and cussing to keep you happy for awhile.

I don't think I can shoot good enough to tell the difference!
I just built a new 6x45 with a BHW barrel. I cleaned it before firing, I fired 5 rounds cleaned it, Now im shooting it for load development. Probably clean it at 40 or so rounds. Right-Wrong good -Bad I don't know.

Originally Posted By: 7887mm08I don't think I can shoot good enough to tell the difference!
I just built a new 6x45 with a BHW barrel. I cleaned it before firing, I fired 5 rounds cleaned it, Now im shooting it for load development. Probably clean it at 40 or so rounds. Right-Wrong good -Bad I don't know.

It's all good.
thumbup.gif

Greg

I had ER Shaw rebarrel one of my rifles back in 1999, when I asked yes they had a break in procedure which I followed. I no longer have that barrel on the rifle (I had it rebarreled again in 2009 with another Shaw) and I followed their procedure once again and I can honestly say I think it helped not only the accuracy but also the ease of cleaning of the barrels.

Think what you want. It takes a lot to wear down steel burrs with copper against it. Take a old copper penny and rub it on a piece of steel and see which one wears down faster.

If a barrel is good from the get go then its good, a crap barrel might benefit from some JB, but shot and clean wont get you too far.

Clean the factory lube out and shoot away!!

The way it's been explained to me, by a barrel company, is barrel break in is a bit of a incorrect term because it's not really the barrel you're breaking in but rather the throat. They said barrel break in is largely dependent on how well/smooth it was throated and if the transition from the throat to the barrel isn't cut that well/smooth then you'll see a benefit from barrel break in but if it is done correctly there is no real need for break in.

Guys from Bartlein barrels do a pretty good job of explaining their position on this subject in this youtube vid.

Originally Posted By: RustydustThis is a very controversial subject here on PM. I personally have never done a barrel break-in on my my guns. Just loaded them up and shot. The factory barrel on my Savage 112 in .223 did benefit from the JB bore paste treatment when it was new but none of my other barrels needed it.
I do the same on all all my Savage stock rigs as Rusty.
Other barrels like BHW/ERshaws/McGowans Ive just started a shooting and never did the shoot 1/clean shoot 2/clean thing. Never had an accuracy or other issue either way.

Originally Posted By: GGirl
Other barrels like BHW/ERshaws/McGowans Ive just started a shooting and never did the shoot 1/clean shoot 2/clean thing. Never had an accuracy or other issue either way.

I do something similar.
When I started buying Pac nor barrels they recommended a simple break in that takes about 30 round and 30 minutes. I can't prove it helps or hurts anything but I figure they know at least as much as the internet experts so I've stuck with it.
He11....it takes that many round to sight in the scope and get the feel for a new rifle anyway.

And yea....I'm aware of the stories about barrel manufacturers recommending a break in to shorten the life of the barrel so they can sell more barrels but I have a hard time believing that 30 rounds makes that much difference.

Anyway that's my thoughts....see ya'll here again in a month or two and we'll regurgitate the issue one more time.

I vote to 'split the baby'. That would be a tad on each side, nothing extravagant. Of course we want to ensure any new barrel is clean, then clean it routinely after/during the initial sight in and setup.

I read a lot on this subject and my thoughts are "What could it hurt" so I break em in with the 1 shot 1 wipe lightly with Hoppes for the first 10, then 2 shots and 1 wipe for the next 10. Then I start shooting it for load work up and don't clean it for the next 200 rounds or so. I'm trying the "copper equilibrium" theory and it seems to work pretty good on my rifles.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: GGirl

I do something similar.
When I started buying Pac nor barrels they recommended a simple break in that takes about 30 round and 30 minutes. I can't prove it helps or hurts anything but I figure they know at least as much as the internet experts so I've stuck with it.
He11....it takes that many round to sight in the scope and get the feel for a new rifle anyway.

And yea....I'm aware of the stories about barrel manufacturers recommending a break in to shorten the life of the barrel so they can sell more barrels but I have a hard time believing that 30 rounds makes that much difference.

Anyway that's my thoughts....see ya'll here again in a month or two and we'll regurgitate the issue one more time.

Maybe there is a way that every time the words "barrel break in" are recognized that the "Not This Chit" picture suddenly pops up and then the poster is automaticcally directed to the search function.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: GGirl

I do something similar.

Maybe there is a way that every time the words "barrel break in" are recognized that the "Not This Chit" picture suddenly pops up and then the poster is automaticcally directed to the search function.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Maybe add posts asking "is the 17HMR a good coyote round" to the list also.
smile.gif

Back