Who has a stoner 22 nosler barrel, and how does it shoot?

varminter .223

I'm having little to no luck getting under 1.5" groups at 100 with any load. 60 bt's seem to be the best. How is yours shooting?

Last edited:
Have you tried my load, 50 vmax, 30.4 gr 8208, cci 450, 2.275"? oal is important, it did not do well at 2.260". Not my most accurate barrel so far, but definitely sub moa. I doubt very many have done much work with one yet. I really don't have any heavier bullets to try except a few 55 gr hdy sp.

btw just got a few over the crony, speeds were 3416 to 3428 on the 4 shots that it read.

Last edited:
I have not tried 50 vmax. I did try 50 bt's with benchmark. I have only shot 2.260 oal. I have 8208 but I only have 7.5 and wsr primers. I will try you recipe with 7.5s now. THANKS!

Well your recipe is about 1.5" .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: GLShooterI shot mine yesterday. Crunching numbers now. So far extremely underwhelmed.

Greg
With speed, groups or both?

Across the board. I am figuring out how to do the LabRadar down load and make it coherent in my personal spreadsheet. Once I get that done I'll do some group measuring on he initial case forming shakedown.

Greg

I have run a little over 250 rounds through my AR Stoner barrel so far. I have found that this has been the hardest barrel I've encountered to find a load for. I finally found a couple loads that will shoot near MOA but suspect that I will have to tweak the load a bit now that all my cases are fire formed. My cases grew on average .008" after firing and the shoulder did not get bumped back after a full length resize with RCBS dies. Also after fire forming and resizing I had several failure to feed incidents with the now larger brass. I guess now that I have 2 passable loads I can work on getting the rifle to cycle properly. Below are 2 of my best targets. The load I will shoot for now is group #4 on the first target. Minus the flier that was absolutely caused by a loose nut behind the trigger, the group is not too bad.
[img:center][/img]

[img:center][/img]

Monday I will have access to a Magneto Speed Chrono, and hope to see speeds worth all the trouble that this has been.

Edit... I have to add that ironically Nosler 55 grain bullets, 30.0 grains of Varget, Winchester primers, and an OAL of 2.260" was listed as one of their most accurate loads, and that I could have saved myself some trouble by starting there rather than finishing there. In any case I have a pretty good idea of what doesn't work.

Last edited:
^^^ Why didn't the shoulders get shoved back? I had no issues with the rcbs dies resizing enough. I set it for 5 thousandths set back for sure functioning. Runout numbers were also excellent.

Unless you mean you resized before the first firing and didn't shove them back?

I ran all the new brass through the full length die just to make sure all the necks were round. After firing I used a comparator to measure the case stretch, and verify how far I needed to bump the shoulders back. With my die adjusted all the way down I was not able to push the shoulder back even .001" After the full length resize a few of the rounds will chamber but not let the bolt go into battery.

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieI ran all the new brass through the full length die just to make sure all the necks were round. After firing I used a comparator to measure the case stretch, and verify how far I needed to bump the shoulders back. With my die adjusted all the way down I was not able to push the shoulder back even .001" After the full length resize a few of the rounds will chamber but not let the bolt go into battery.

I see. Did you try lowering the press ram, then turning the die in a little more? Gives you a camming effect that should get you the extra few thousandths. If that doesn't work you may have to take some material off the top of your shellholder.

I do have the die adjusted to where I have a solid cam over. I am going to have a shell holder machined by a buddy at work down .004" and see if it helps. I also have access to some Hornady dies. I'm not nearly as worried about the resizing as I was the accuracy / consistency difficulties.

I was darn excited about the new round, but am glad I held off now. Maybe by fall the bugs will be worked out. Until then the 223 still kills them and does the 204.

So I made it out to use the Magneto speed today. I only loaded the 50 NBT with 30.0 Varget to test as I felt it would give me better speeds than the 55's. To say I was blown away by my results would be a huge understatement! After many rounds, bullets, powder and primer combinations to get this barrel shooting 1" groups at 100 yards. The 18" barrel was able to post speeds in excess of 3000 FPS! Insane I know but it's like a laser beam flying out the end! Just kidding it's nothing like a laser beam, much more like a sad droopy rainbow. My 5 shot average was 3104 FPS. Not at all what I was hoping for. Part of me thinks the chronograph was not working properly, but I did test the chrono against a load with a known speed. I also shot a second 5 round batch that matched the first. My control load was my .223 it shot a 5 shot average with BL-C2 and 55 hornady spire points at 3338. It has been measured on several occasions at 3330-3370 depending on the temperature. My interest in playing with this new caliber is waning but I'll post more updates as I get them.

I definitely would like to try a 22 to 24" tube with a slower twist. My 24" stag has really been dumping the night time yotes with a mild 24 grains of varget and 60 vmaxes. Not to mention is will shoot 5 shots right at .5".
This stoner pipe is wearing me out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I definitely would like to try a 22 to 24" tube with a slower twist. My 24" stag has really been dumping the night time yotes with a mild 24 grains of varget and 60 vmaxes. Not to mention is will shoot 5 shots right at .5".

Gun sales are down so we gotta buy components. The Nosler will be the driving force for a bunch of us on here!! LOL

Greg

Originally Posted By: Dirty Hippieexcess of 3000 FPS! Insane I know but it's like a laser beam flying out the end! Just kidding it's nothing like a laser beam, much more like a sad droopy rainbow.

more like a sad droopy rainbow.

that made me laugh.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: varminter .223

I had a feeling when I heard all the silly hype from gun mag folks after gun mag folks at shot show, This came to mind.
smile.gif

Mr. Rate: The world is not always as it seems, is it son?
Bob Lee Swagger: No Sir.
Mr. Rate: You keep that in mind.

Back